Mandarin in a 32 gallon?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I currently have 2 clownfish and a golden sailfin blenny in my 32 Gallon cube. I am looking for my last fish to stock it with. I really love the mandarins. I think they're one of the most stunning fish in the reefing hobby.

Do you guys think it'll be fine in my 32-gallon cube? And how hard is it to get them eating frozen foods?

Thanks #reefsquad

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I currently have 2 clownfish and a golden sailfin blenny in my 32 Gallon cube. I am looking for my last fish to stock it with. I really love the mandarins. I think they're one of the most stunning fish in the reefing hobby.

Do you guys think it'll be fine in my 32-gallon cube? And how hard is it to get them eating frozen foods?

Thanks #reefsquad
You could, as long as you have a good pod population and are willing to purchase pods regularly. They can be taught to eat frozen, but from what I understand it's difficult to do.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 28g. Rig up one of PaulB's feeding stations for baby brine and you'll be fine. Mine eats Nutrimar Ova. The Biota captive mandarin's are an option too.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Do you have any pod population currently? They eat a LOT of pods and are hit and miss (mostly miss) for taking to any kind of frozen or flaked foods.

I've read that even a 75g well established tank is about the suggested minimum for Mandarin. I'm sure people have had success in smaller tanks and with frozen foods but it's not ideal for the fish.

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Mandarin-Fish

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 28g. Rig up one of PaulB's feeding stations for baby brine and you'll be fine. Mine eats Nutrimar Ova. The Biota captive mandarin's are an option too.
Yeah I've heard that biota is the way to go when getting a mandarin since they're already eating frozen foods

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Do you have any pod population currently? They eat a LOT of pods and are hit and miss (mostly miss) for taking to any kind of frozen or flaked foods.

I've read that even a 75g well established tank is about the suggested minimum for Mandarin. I'm sure people have had success in smaller tanks and with frozen foods but it's not ideal for the fish.

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Mandarin-Fish
The tank is about 5 months old. I've heard getting one that's captive bred would be better being that they're already eating frozen foods

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've heard that biota is the way to go when getting a mandarin since they're already eating frozen foods

Biota mandarins are great so long as you remeber they still need a constant supply of pods, they won't survive on a couple of feedings of frozen per day alone. If you are going to do it I would definitely set up a @PaulB feeding station first and be prepared to hatch brine shrimp everyday, otherwise I would pass personally in a 32g. It'll either cost you a fortune in pods or your wq will take a dive due to the amount of feedings you will need trying to keep it fat

Taby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do frozen pods and mix it up with masstick. I've had my goby in in a 20 gallon nuvo for almost 3 years. Also helps that that I have a mountain of rubble rocks were my pods reproduce safely out of the my manderins reach.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the rubble substrate in my 29 gallon for my green dot mandarin. It becomes a pod haven. I finally sold him because he kept stealing all the food in and on my corals!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know others will have their opinions but this is mine. I would not advise putting a mandarin in that small of a tank. Not only is it still a very young tank but the size alone is not enough to populate enough pods for it to sustain itself over a long period of time. I would look into a watchman goby.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a pair of mandarins in our 75 reef that's been running for many years with pods added every couple months. While it's nice to have mandarins eating other foods they still need a constant supply of pods to sustain them for a long healthy life. Our mandarins eat pellets, reef nutrition foods and frozen but pods are still needed. I think this is overlooked now with mandarins being captive bred. I'd say no to the mandarin in your current tank. It can take a year for a mandarin to starve to death.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins metabolism is extremely high. It really doesn't matter if they are eating frozen or not. I hear it all the time about buying a mandarin that eats frozen or eats pellets and so and so is going to get one. Unless you are going to basically dose pellets every 5 minutes it doesn't matter as they need to constantly consume food. It would be like putting a cow in a tiny back yard and expecting your 20sqft of grass to be enough for it. I have one in a 170g system and still add pods every month or two.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. I would not put a mandarin in that small and new of a tank. It may live a year, but that is aweful for a fish that can live 10 years.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks so much guys!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ those comments on mandarins ad their metabolism and need for constant feeding and pods.

Perhaps look at a tailspot blenny for that size tank, colorful, loads of personality

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back