Manfrotto 394-H Tripod??

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on the quest for a good beginners tripod. I prefer not to purchase the legs/head separately, as I'm sure it will be more expensive. I'm a total NOOB and simply planning on using this tripod for aquarium photography only. Is there any reason why I shouldn't purchase the tripod listed below. Oh, my DSLR does record video as well, incase that makes a difference.

Manfrotto 394 Photo-Movie Kit QR MK394-H B&H Photo Video

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Manfroto tripod with the everything included (legs, head, bag) very similar to that one (don't know what model it is) last year for my gf. she uses it for her Nikon D3000 and it works well. I would recommend that one.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think should work well for your intended purpose. I would also see if Chris (gadgets) has any input. Though his hands are as sturdy as a tripod, I'm sure he knows more about them than most. : )

OP
OP
B

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! I'm trying to decide between the Manfrotto 390 series and the Slik 330 Pro series. Not sure if I should be looking at any other brands or even other models of the Manfrotto/Silk. Maybe Chris can guide me in the right direction! I honestly don't want to spend more than $100, but I would love to get the best bang for the buck. I'm not looking for anything professional, just the best cheapest tripod :)

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bandomo! I'm sure that tripod would work great! Should be sturdy enough to get the job done. Manfrotto also tends to have decent build quality even in there entry level models. Should be $90 well spent! Enjoy it and don't forget to post pics!

OP
OP
B

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris! I have another question for you, instead of buying a macro lens, I was thinking about purchasing a Canon close up lens (250D diopter). Which is like a filter that screws on to the front of the lens and magnifies the image. I understand that the magnification won't be as intense as a marco lens, but I'm thinking it'll be a good starting point for a beginner such as myself. My question is, how far will I be able to zoom into an 18" deep tank with the stock 15-55mm lens + the diopter and still take "macro" pictures. I know it won't be a 1:1 magnification, but will I be able to at least get .5:1 magnification? Also, how far from the aquarium glass will I have to be in order to take decent shots?

I still have totally discarded the idea of purchase a dedicated macro lens. When comparing the Canon 60mm vs the 100mm marco lenses, how far from the aquarium glass can I be with the 60mm lens vs the 100mm lens. Will either lens shoot pics of corals the are towards the back of my aquarium. Remember, my tank is 18" deep.

Sorry if these are silly question, I'm totally a NOOB when it comes to photography

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back