Manganese supplement for Goniopora?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it also deplete rapidly if you run Purit?

I don't know if that binds it. I personally would not use something claiming to bind metals unless I had a metals problem as reefs need metals.

Organism uptake is the big issue. A few grams of added macroalgae mass deplete the entire tank.

neyes_ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that binds it. I personally would not use something claiming to bind metals unless I had a metals problem as reefs need metals.

Organism uptake is the big issue. A few grams of added macroalgae mass deplete the entire tank.
I am running purit because of elevated aluminum.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is Manganese so expensive?
I certainly am not a chemist like Randy who has more degrees than a thermometer, but I do have an old fish tank. Twice a year I dump in half a box of Epsom Salt into my 125 gallon tank.

(that was actually Randy's idea)

The whole thing. It dissolves instantly and costs about $2.00 a year maybe 3

My corals are growing up the walls and my tank is very old. The only problem is that Epsom salt comes in a box with maybe a picture of feet on it and if you buy it from an LFS it will come with a beautiful picture of a Queen Angelfish on it and cost 1,000 times more for the same exact stuff.

The stuff you buy in CVS is for human consumption so it is probably purer than the stuff in an LFS which may be mixed up in the back room by Otis the town drunk.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly am not a chemist like Randy who has more degrees than a thermometer, but I do have an old fish tank. Twice a year I dump in half a box of Epsom Salt into my 125 gallon tank.

(that was actually Randy's idea)

The whole thing. It dissolves instantly and costs about $2.00 a year maybe 3

My corals are growing up the walls and my tank is very old. The only problem is that Epsom salt comes in a box with maybe a picture of feet on it and if you buy it from an LFS it will come with a beautiful picture of a Queen Angelfish on it and cost 1,000 times more for the same exact stuff.

The stuff you buy in CVS is for human consumption so it is probably purer than the stuff in an LFS which may be mixed up in the back room by Otis the town drunk.
Fantastic, thanks I’ll definitely have a go.
Eyes open.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these on amazon US, but can't get the powdered ones in the UK. At least not the ones I feel i can trust.

I assume they must be "gluconate" and not anything else.

No, it does not need to be gluconate. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones I can find are in tablet form.
Any good?

Depends on the other ingredients. I did that for iron dosing with my recommendation of Fergon tablets.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C340B15F-588F-4EA2-9C30-6CE205153387.png
Depends on the other ingredients. I did that for iron dosing with my recommendation of Fergon tablets.
Hi, I have the ingredients for the manganese tablet I mentioned.

wondering whether the other ingredients will harm the tank.
C340B15F-588F-4EA2-9C30-6CE205153387.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or you can try the reef moonshiners method, which doses trace elements daily, with monthly corrections. Manganese is one of the daily doses, along with iron, cobalt, chromium, vanadium and iodide. Andre has a FB group that's very active, but also posts here from time to time.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can try the reef moonshiners method, which doses trace elements daily, with monthly corrections. Manganese is one of the daily doses, along with iron, cobalt, chromium, vanadium and iodide. Andre has a FB group that's very active, but also posts here from time to time.
I will have a look at that. Thanks.

kolalysy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

may I ask you to put chemical formula of the manganese that may be used in a reef tank ? The issue is that (as I am not the chemist) it may be problematic to translate it from English (I am afraid web site transaltors may make mistakes ).

As I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) we can use this:

MnCl2 x 4H2O - Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate

but can we also use this? :

C10H12MnN2O8·2Na (English name chelate manganese EDTA ? )

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

may I ask you to put chemical formula of the manganese that may be used in a reef tank ? The issue is that (as I am not the chemist) it may be problematic to translate it from English (I am afraid web site transaltors may make mistakes ).

As I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) we can use this:

MnCl2 x 4H2O - Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate

but can we also use this? :

C10H12MnN2O8·2Na (English name chelate manganese EDTA ? )

thanks

Since the calculation is different for every material, I suggest you pick an actual product and we can work a formula for that. This earlier post of mine gives calculations for Manganese(II) chloride tetrahydrate :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-manganese-calculation-help.477189/page-2#post-6597326

Also, if you pick a material like the one DxMarinefish posted a few posts earlier, it is already calculated how much manganese is in a tablet, facilitating subsequent calculations.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back