MANGROVES!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I bought 5 seedlings and put them in my fuge, leaf pair 4 on a couple of them, mine are all over deep set really!
My fuge is my only nutrient export, love mangroves. ;)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this one!:)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Honestly, I don't think you're going to see a ton of nutrient export from mangroves, unless you have a ton, or a few really big, mature plants. Pound for pound, you're better off with macro-algae if you're looking for nutrient export. Chaeto is the best as far as I'm concerned. The intention here was to create a unique and visually different base for a neat future beach/bomie tank.
Correct! They're an amazing addition when properly implemented, but do very little for nutrient export unless you have many mature plants.

Daniel Knop briefly mentions that here. There was a study done on their ability to uptake nutrients versus macro algae showing how much mangroves paled in comparison, but I cannot find it at the moment.

However many large trees can work wonders, as seen here at the Birch aquarium in La Jolla.
IMG_20160908_213355377_HDR.jpg

This is a great concept you have going, keep up the awesome work! I've been growing some out for four years now but the project is not ready to share... yet ;)

OP
OP
cnseekatz

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool thread! Following!

Awesome! Hope it turns out like a legit mangrove forest.

Thanks guys. I know it's a slow process, and this thread isn't going to be a barn-burner with daily updates, but it should be fun to watch the growth and progress over time!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely be following along. When I was a kid I went snorkeling in a mangrove lagoon, since then I've wanted to do something like this but I could never get my mangroves to take. Here is a pic I found online that I saved as inspiration.

image.jpeg

Acameron2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely be following along. When I was a kid I went snorkeling in a mangrove lagoon, since then I've wanted to do something like this but I could never get my mangroves to take. Here is a pic I found online that I saved as inspiration.

image.jpeg
Now that is awesome!! Love the bonsai shape

Soueify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and a great shallow one you got there! I was thinking of doing the exact same setup! I have 5 seedlings right now; one in the sump, one in the display and 3 in the overflow temporarily (long temporarily :oops:).

I've had my mangies since December, red mangroves Rhizpora Mangle. Got them off ebay :D

At first, they were very slow to show any growth, but then I started spraying them with RO water at least once a day and BAM amazing growth! Maybe you should try that!

Also temperatures here in Egypt have been soaring all summer, ambient is around 30-32 degrees C and water temperature aroung 28-29 degrees C (sorry, no fehrenheit:D) , which is too hot for comfort I know! But no chiller and no AC :confused: Also somewhat humid as I live in a coastal city. Maybe this weather helps them feel at home?

We do have natural mangrove forests here in Egypt (although a different species I think) and they live in super hot areas near the southern end on the Red Sea where day temperatures can reach near 40 degrees C or more with blasting sun all year round.

Keep up the great work and inspire us! I hope I helped:)

All the best!

IMG_20160910_220207.jpg

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my five they are 5 1/2 years old. I had them hooked into a 125 system for the first 2 years. I think they are getting rootbound. I need to move them to a larger container or sell a couple and thin them down.

They have some prop roots and the trunks are approaching 1" diameter. Slow growers! Makes a really cool Seahorse tank.

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of doing the same thing as an outdoor tank on my Lani here in FL. I would like to also use it as a CUC qt, but it may get too hot for that. I think it would make a super cool tabletop water garden, and I wouldn't need to have any electrical used either:)

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original plan was to get a couple of them up to 3-4 ft and use them as aquatic house plants plumbed into the system. At this growth rate I'm looking at another 10 years. Back to the drawing board.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back