Manifold Location

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

So here's the issue I got. I'm thinking this build through, and it just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm building a bean animal on a 150g tank. I'm running two return pumps.

One that splits and feeds the tank in two locations.

And one plumbed by itself, connected to a uv sterilizer.

The idea is I can run the uv on its own gph requirement, and use the other main pump to equalize the remaining.

So where do I plumb in the manifold? Either way a manifold in this design affects the returns. On the main return it affects my siphon, and on the other it messes with my flow requirement on the uv.

I'm only wanting to plumb it for future use of other equipment. .... Truth is, I'm leaning towards scrapping the whole idea of the manifold in the first place. They didn't end up using it on the 160.

Will I regret that?

Thanks for your help! I'm a new member. But I'm excited to contribute.

Many thanks!

Reeflux

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hint: a manifold should have a gate valve before returning to the tank. This helps regulate pressure.

Oh and howdy, welcome

OP
OP
Reeflux

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hint: a manifold should have a gate valve before returning to the tank. This helps regulate pressure.

Oh and howdy, welcome
Thank you! Happy to get involved.

So I did figure on a gate or ball valve at its stem. But the thought of that, I thought, wouldn't really fix the problem, I thought it would only lesson it.

Can I plumb the manifold off the return, but not run the discharge through it? Basically just create a manifold and cut it off with a ball valve on the end. Then I would split the return line above that. No matter what I guess it's going to be affected.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split my return and have a manifold off one of the splits
Each split has a ball valve at the begining and one at the end

Dystopium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing my tank next week and had similar thoughts. I have a plumbing setup that works as needed for 2 pumps.

OP
OP
Reeflux

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split my return and have a manifold off one of the splits
Each split has

Plumbing my tank next week and had similar thoughts. I have a plumbing setup that works as needed for 2 pumps.

Just checked out your build... looking really nice!

I decided to reduce to 3/4 Ball valve off the manifold Ts. I eventually settled on the fact I might be overthinking it. No matter where I put the manifold im going to lose pressure if I'm running additional equipment.

I like your idea to have valves and bypasses plumbed for your returns for maintenance.

I really wanted to create a valved bypass for the UV. If I'm doing a large water change, or messing with anything in the fuge kicking up detritus I'll throw that crap into the return and create more maintenance on the UV bulb. .... but again...no space. All my plumbing is exposed and out front so space becomes even more of an issue for me. ....29" long UV...I have to be creative.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back