Manifold plumbing

mikem.dvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a second return pump to run a manifold. I currently have a single return pump and then several smaller pumps running to a chaeto reactor, GFO/ Carbon reactor, and UV sterilizer. I looked at different set ups and can see the manifold plumbed off the return pump or second pump but my question is how people plumb the return lines from all the reactors back into the system. Dumping it back into the sump is the easiest but decreases efficiency to some degree since the sump water will be recycled through the reactors more than the display tank water. Are others running the returns directly back into the display? can then be plumbed into a single line and back into the main Display return. I know that would be tricky since the pressure has to be sufficient but curious if anyone has done it?

Shiva89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty large manifold. I run a skimmer, reactors, and tank returns, and uv off of. My uv i dump back into the dislplay via over the back return. skimmer dumps back into the drain section of the sump. my carbon and gfo returns go into the drains of the main tank. I dont like the idea of having one drain back to sump with all the stuff off the manifold. That could be a disaster happening. My manifold feeds 3 tanks with the ability to add one more easily.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you’re saying but I disagree with it being “less efficient” unless you don’t have much flow between the sump and display. The goal of sump turnover is to ensure water in both is chemically the same, then act on that chemistry. Also, most of our filters are multi-pass designs anyway.

If you’re already using two pumps, then I would run the flow back to near the direct return pump inlet or some place with plenty mixing, like between baffles. That way any concentration one way or another is blended into the bulk volume of the system.

Back