Maria's thread build

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to building a thread and also new to actually following everything in the forum. I am still lost at times lol, but learning more each day. I am going to give it a whirl today and see how it goes!! I am still pretty new at corals and honestly have lost quite a few which breaks my heart and of course my wallet. I have had a salt water aquarium for about 13 years, but always kept aggressive fish. I am still trying to figure out all the important parameters and keeping them in check. My biggest issue is with alkalinity,it is still to high in tank. So until I can get that down more will not try anymore sps, lps corals. I have done water changes, and it still remains to high, maybe can get some other suggestions or help with this issue? Last reading was 12.5.
I recently got my bubble magnus filter roller set up after having it for 6 months lol, so hoping that will help with water quality, it has definitely been working in overdrive. I see everyone's reef tanks and so jealous, as I want to have a beautiful reef tank!! I recently became a partner-plus member and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts! Thanks R2R for having yet another contest and thanks for everything I have learned!

I also wanted to add this exciting news in my 1st build. I won a light from Noopsyche! I still can't believe it, but also can't wait to receive it and install on tank!

Screenshot_20211102-075238_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing with build thread finally, lol!
75 gallon aquarium (older tank-not positive make, bought it used, maybe an Oceanic)
Eshopps RS-200 Reef Sump 125-225 gallon
LifeReef overflow box (which are amazing)
Icecap K1-130 protein skimmer
Jebao return pump
1 Nero 3 WaveMaker (plan on another 5 nero)
1 Maxpect Gyre 2k
Maxpect Gyre 4k
Jebao WaveMaker
1 Nicrew 150 W LED Reef Light
1 Phillips Coral Care Gen 2 light (Big thanks to SaltwaterAquarium.com for their 10th Anniversary contest that I won)
1 AL Prime light
1 Noopsyche K7 V3 coral reef led 140W full spectrum light (thanks Noopsyche for this light-won last month)
Livestock:
2 black Saddleback clowns
2 blue chromis
1 Purple Tang
1 Swallowtail angel
1 Tenneti Tang
1 Hawkfish
1 Purplefire fish
1 Midas Blenny
1 pair blue-throat trigger fish
1 Snowflake eel
1 large green carpet anenome
1 large bubble tip anenome
1 med rainbow colored bubble-tip
anenome
Numerous snails and crabs for cleaning crew

Corals
1 branching Purple tip Hammer
2 Umbrella leather polyps
1 Kenya tree
Numerous hairy mushrooms that have split
4 or 5 ricordia mushrooms different colors
Couple other mushrooms
Numerous different zoas and palythoas
2 pulsing Zenia's
Large patches of GSP
Few different lps frags (not sure if will survive, not doing well)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yesterday I finally started organizing my fish tank area, cleaning up wires and organizing things I have let go to long. I added some GFO and carbon in my sump finally, hoping to get my phosphates down some. I need to get a water change done, but unfortunately walking around on crutches from surgery isn't allowing that. I also want to get the last remaining sand out of my 60 gallon tank and cleaned up so I can reseal it. It started leaking around bottom about 3 months after I bought it. That was the tank I dropped down to from a 200 gallon, imagine how hard that was to do, as said previously, had to get rid of it due to remodel of floor, sad part was, I only had that tank for a few months when had to sell. I lost out on that one, $1200 tank and finally got a buyer at $400, gain for them!! But anyhow, if I get the energy to seal the 60 gal, I hope to start another reef tank up in that one. If it doesn't seal or I just say the heck with it, as that is a pain to do, I may just buy another, lol! I still have fingers crossed that I may win one!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning reefing community! Hope everyone had a good weekend! Worked more on my aquarium room Saturday. Prepared for a water change on that day, but then did not have time to get it done. That is my goal today. I have decided that I want to change my aquascape in the tank to prepare for future corals. I have learned alot from being a part of this forum and watching videos from different companies and reefers, so thanks to all! I should have my order of new supplies today or tomorrow, to start on this goal. I will take pictures today of current build and take pictures after I have finished. Wish me luck on this task, lol!

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see some updated pics. I know you posted some on the 15th. But, I love your tangs and the eel!!!

Hello, thanks for your response!! I am going to upload a video to the build of the eel taking his food if it works. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a wonderful collection of fish. They are all so beautiful!
Love that snowflake eel :)
I love all of them.

Yeah, I love my eel!! But I love them all. It is funny my clowns swim all through the gsp, but won't host the long or bubble-tip anenome!

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Just bought a new 90 gallon aquarium with corner overflow, along with a pretty grey stand. I am currently putting the stand together now, turning a 2 person job into 1 person build lol!! I am looking forward to getting it all setup. I will be moving everything from 75 gallon tank over. It is always a chore moving items from one tank to another, but it will be worth it in the end!! I will update with pictures along the way. I also bought a 40 gallon breeder that I will be setting up as well. Bought that prior to 90 and thought about taking it back, but since decided to keep it, what the heck, why not? Will post new pictures as they progress.

Update: realized after I put the new beautiful grey stand together that I can't use it, ugh!! Myself and the two store staff members helping me purchase and load in car never gave it a thought I was buying a stand that I couldn't use as it had a top and wouldn't work with overflow tank, lol!
Back to the store it goes to replace with the black one with open top lol!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Returned the beautiful grey stand for the black opened stand for overflow to sump. I didn't really get to work on tank yet. Moved the stand and 90 gallon tank downstairs with the help from my daughter!! Who needs a strong man to get er done!!!
Q5EcXyUiti5P7h2vYr.gif

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got my sump tank drained, cleaned, and moved into the new stand for 90 gallon yesterday, that took a few hours of work and then maneuvering my overflow on 75 gallon so that the hoses would reach sump in new stand. Today I got corner overflows connected in the 90 gallon tank, worked on cleaning equipment, such as protein skimmer and other items. I am hoping to get the tank up on stand tomorrow if things go as planned. It is going to be a slow process, lol. I did get my new Noopsyche light ordered delivered Friday, so I will have that set up and ready to add to tank. To be continued!

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to my husband who hates my addiction to the salt water world, helped me get the new tank up on the stand!!!! Now the fun begins with the transfer of from one tank to the other!!

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was finally able to get my plumbing done on the new 90 gallon tank. I began adding some additional live sand and some water to circulate. I have 30 gallons of water prepared to add in the tank. I hope to start transferring items tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well with getting it done successfully. Wish me luck! My husband said he wasn't going to move my snow flake eel for me as he did on previous 180 gallon, guess I will have to do it myself lol.

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the new 90 gallon tank up and running yesterday!! It is a lot of work moving stuff from one tank to another! Forgot how much work it was lol! I still have to move another hanging light and add more sand and rock, but at least got all livestock moved over!
20211224_194804.jpg
20211224_194814.jpg
20211224_194824.jpg
20211224_194828.jpg 20211224_194858.jpg

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211229_194322.jpg
20211229_195604.jpg
20211229_194507.jpg 20211229_194449.jpg

Finally got my Phillips light moved over today. Moved some more items around, not sure if I have placed items in final destinations yet, well keep working on it.
I did get the 40 gallon started, sand and rock has been placed along with filters and heater. I plan on getting water in tank tomorrow hopefully. 20211229_195556.jpg

OP
OP
mslabonik

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to build
I decided the icecap protein skimmer wasn't doing the job needed for the 90 gallon even though rated for it. I just couldn't get it dialed in to produce right skim. After watching numerous videos of numerous protein skimmer and reading other posts on R2R, I decided to go with the Nyos 160 skimmer. I will say that so far I do like it. It produced skim, within couple hours. I have had to mess with adjustments a couple times the last couple days, but I believe that is pretty normal. I also bought an Adaptive Reef controller board to start getting all of my electrical chords and devices organized and hung up on the wall. That is tomorrow's project I hope. I bought a Hydros control 4 starter pack as well, hoping to get that up and running as well this weekend. I hope it proves to be an asset in monitoring things with tank. I just ordered a crap load of coral and I hope to end up with a beautiful tank full of corals. I bought some more live reef rock so I could have more locations to place corals, I got most of it arranged in tank, but will probably still adjust some. I wanted to move it more into center of tank so that nothing was touching back glass, etc. The 40 gallon tank is cycled and I decided to make that my clown fish hiram tank and I started with 8 yesterday. To orange skunk clowns, 2 oscellerus, 2 pair of perculas, orange and white and black and white. I will be moving some coral from 90 gallon over as well as putting some new coral in this tank. I will upload tank shots later.
20220119_204323.jpg
20220120_141659.jpg

Attachments

• 20220120_141703.jpg
    20220120_141703.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 40

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back