Mariculture

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get a larger reef filled up traveling to various lfs. In the midst of buying frags I have gotten about half a dozen mariculture pieces. Pieces looked good in store and have done well for a few months. Now they all seem to be rtn this week. All other corals in the display appear fine and are growing. I have been told mariculture frags are not typically long lived. True or any experience welcome?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mariculture, as a rule, means clones/asexual reproduction, as opposed to sexual reproduction.

@Timfish has some dna research of original coral and fifth generation clones that supports that hypothesis.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really a complex subject. To start with there's context specific variables at least species specific and likely genotype specific differences. We have little information on aging in corals and none in consecutive fragging of clones. When looking at aging in corals it can be divided into genotype age, colony age and polyp age. Genotype age is likely 1000's of years, colony age in some cases my be hundreds of years but max colony size suggests some species may be old at just a few decades or even just a few years and individual polyps may show signs of senescense at just a few months. Additionally, frag size does matter with smaller frags having a lower survival rate. And to add an additional spin on the problem corals have been shown to have environmental memory so it's important to match environmental conditions as closely as possible to the system the frags came out of. And to flip this whole problem on it's side the microbial processes in a system are critical and can trump water and lighting parameters.

In my own experience, I've had corals of the same clone line in seperate tanks have problems at the same time. Since some of these systems are miles apart and have different filtration methods, lighting and water sources and other related species don't seem to be affected the problem seems to be either something to do with that clone line or genotype. I want to emphasize this is speculative, there's no way for me to test to verify this.

Here's some links:

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are more sensitive and I would recommend quarantining and dipping your acros if buying from multiple sources

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back