Marine Betta

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother you, but I have never observed neither the behavior or a pair or of 2 males and I can't understand what I'm watching.

The most important thing I'm trying to understand is if this can turn into physical aggression.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother you, but I have never observed neither the behavior or a pair or of 2 males and I can't understand what I'm watching.

The most important thing I'm trying to understand is if this can turn into physical aggression.

Difficult to tell. But there is certainly some rivalry. I would keep a close eye on them.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I recently got a small ora one. So I know it can be done. Real timid and got it eating live brine shrimp. Yes you could vent them to see their sex. I imagine it would be hard to see because their black though. Could you take the rock out and trickle air over the eggs from an air stone take the adults out of the equation? Get them in a fry only set up with loads of copepods maybe.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I recently got a small ora one. So I know it can be done. Real timid and got it eating live brine shrimp. Yes you could vent them to see their sex. I imagine it would be hard to see because their black though. Could you take the rock out and trickle air over the eggs from an air stone take the adults out of the equation? Get them in a fry only set up with loads of copepods maybe.
Is ORA still breeding them? I haven't seen any of their tank bred in a couple of years.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to tell. But there is certainly some rivalry. I would keep a close eye on them.

I am filming them 5 or 6 hours everyday, morning and evening, and then I watch all their interactions. It just takes me a few minutes.

I haven't seen any physical violence yet but they don't seem far from it.

My hope is that, if they're too different to crossbreed, maybe they're also different enough to not kill each other, even if it turns out they're 2 males.

The hierarchy between them is not settled, but the younger but larger altivelis has the upper hand in most encounters.

I've been thinking about things that have changed recently that may be contributing to this animosity.

A couple of months ago the altivelis got a bad injure in his mouth when he picked a piece of shrimp from the tweezers.

He stopped eating for at least a week and became afraid of the tweezer.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I began feeding krill to the argus. He was so happy when he saw it for the 1st time. He's wild caught and he recognized the shape of a small shrimp immediately.

The altivelis is not interested at all.

Before these events, the altivelis ate 3 times more than the argus, now they're about the same. Both also eat mysis when I broadcast feed 4 cubes in the evening.

I wonder if the changes in the availability of food are playing a part in the altivelis becoming more aggressive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest C. argus is done with quarantine and eating pellets like a champ.

This fish is quite different in its movements from the C. altivelis I have and have had,

Next step is to see how it gets along with my larger one.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch of the day:

mislabeled Calloplesiops argus

1627718732416.png

It's a pretty small one with 2.25 inches.
Let's hope it arrives alive and without velvet or other deadly ailments...

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago far far away (in the early 90s, back in Germany) I bred a few batches of Marine Bettas (aside from a few thousand ocellaris, percula, and clarkii anemonefish).

One of my later Marine Betta pairs. The male (front) is actually one of the babies I raised on my first attempt. The female is wild-caught.
P1020082.JPG

Male with eggs:
CA-Gelege.jpg

12 weeks old juvenile
CA-J1.jpg

Fosser & Nielsen came by to take a few pictures for their book series:
IMG_20160804_0001_NEW.jpg

General
Species: Calloplesiops altivelis Steindachner, 1903
Social Structure: pair (harem in the wild)
Size of Individuals: about 16 cm TL
Age of Individuals: unknown, where adults when I got them
Date added to Tank: 1991 (no record of precise date)

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 750 L
Substrate Details: live rock - bare bottom
Filtration Details: Skimmer
Water Changes: about 100 L every 10 to 20 days
Water Temperature: 26 °C
Lighting: 6 fluorescent bulbs (2 blue, 4 daylight)
Lighting Cycle: 12 h
Other Tank Inhabitants: a pair of Amphiprion ocellaris, a pair of Pygoplites diacanthus diacanthus

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Rock shrimp, squid, Mysis
Feeding Schedule: random, at least 3 times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 19. JUL 1992
Spawn Time of Day: morning

Egg Size: not measured
Egg Color: initially light gray, black and silver before hatch
Egg Count: 600 - 1000 (guess)

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 26.7.1992
Hatch Time of Day: night
# Days after Spawn: 7
Larvae Description: well developed, roughly 4 mm long, nearly no yolk sack (lasts about half a day), black

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 26 °C
Size of Larval Tank: 100 L octagon
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: 50W halogen
Water Changes: constant (hooked up to parent tank via drip line and overflow)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Brachionus (I suppose it was L-type), Artemia salina nauplii from day 6
Feeding Schedule: as needed to maintain a sufficient food density

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 07. AUG 1992
Days after Hatch: 13
Date of Settlement End: 08. AUG 1992
Description of Fry: completely black before settlement, post-settlement body white, head and fins black. Shape nearly like the adults, most notable difference is that the tail fin has a straight end. Behavior of settled fry: pivoting around the eye like adults. Very slow eaters.

Extremely high losses due to sudden fright syndrome during and after metamorphosis.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 26 °C
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 60 L
Substrate Details: coral gravel
Other Tank Decor: live rock
Filtration Details: hooked up to parent system
Lighting: 2 fluorescent bulbs
Water Changes: hooked up to parent system
Size at Transfer: 7 to 8 mm
Age at Transfer: 35 days

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: live brine shrimp and whatever there was on pods. Frozen food after 20 weeks.
Feeding Schedule: at least 3 times a day

Developmental details:

The larva has at the beginning a round body cross-section and is mostly dark-colored.

During the second week, the body shape becomes higher and laterally compressed and the coloration becomes darker.

After settlement, the appearance changes dramatically: the body sides turn completely white, while the head and fins are black. This change happens quite literally overnight. From this point on hiding places are required.

After 40 days (~8 mm TL) white dots become visible in the black areas.

After 12 weeks (~20 mm TL) the eyespot on the dorsal fin starts to develop. The white area on the body sides starts to shrink.

After 27 weeks the first fish lost its white area completely.
The babies are sooo cute - kali

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has it really gotten that bad? Seems like they ought to stop shipping, then, if there's a significant chance that a shipped fish will die. That's not ethical practice otherwise.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipping company is likely not a fault here.
Even with the delay this little one should have made it as it had plenty of water and air. It didn't suffocate but rather froze to death due to the ice pack, likely while still at the Diver's Den packing & shipping facility or on the way to the airport. The bag felt icy cold when I took it out of the box. Adding ice packs with these little ones is a very very bad idea.
Frakking shame! It was nice one.

20210804_112651.jpg

20210804_112824.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back