Marine Betta

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a small one, maybe a ljttle less than 1" and I'm also putting it in quarentine. What do you feed when they are about this size?

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a small one, maybe a ljttle less than 1" and I'm also putting it in quarentine. What do you feed when they are about this size?
Right now, I feed it live Tigriopus and Artemia (adults) from my backyard cultures. The little one would likely eat other things as well, but this way I can just stock the tank and not worry about it getting enough. Also, I'm quarantining a small Bluestripe pipefish with it and that one certainly does better on live food for now.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a ball of chaeto in the quarentine with amphipods, but he's not big enough to eat the adults. I hope there's small ones there too, but I only saw adults.

I'm going to order some pods.

When I put him in the quarentine tank he immediately darted inside the chaeto ball and I haven't seen him since.

If he survives the 2 week quarentine, my plan is to move him to the refugium and let him grow there for 9-12 months.

They had sizes S, M and L and I ordered an M, but he's so small that I can't put him in my tank. The banggais and hawks would eat him.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distribution goes through Biota now.
Hello Thomas, I just received one of your Biota bettas tuesday. I have kept them before. Always got them feeding with ghost shrimp or similar. Obviously, these are too small for that. he is in a 20 gallon refugium with a tiny filefish for now. I have some PCV condos in there for him. Suggested foods to get them started? The fuge is connected to my 150 mixed reef. I have TDO pellets xsmall and medium, mysis shrimp, and all kinds of frozen food. Any info appreciated.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d train him to take food from forceps the mysis is a good bet. Then frozen raw shrimp chunks can be introduced. Careful, they are skittish fish. Approach the tank and move slowly. No lights behind you.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Thomas, I just received one of your Biota bettas tuesday. I have kept them before. Always got them feeding with ghost shrimp or similar. Obviously, these are too small for that. he is in a 20 gallon refugium with a tiny filefish for now. I have some PCV condos in there for him. Suggested foods to get them started? The fuge is connected to my 150 mixed reef. I have TDO pellets xsmall and medium, mysis shrimp, and all kinds of frozen food. Any info appreciated.
Live black worms and live white worms

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were raised on TDO (X Small), Hikari Mysis, and Spirulina Artemia. They may be a bit shy as singles but normally feeding them shouldn't be a problem. I have a few who escaped to the sump of the breeding system and they got by there on pods and whatever else they could find. If you have enough pods and tiny critters in the tank they might not show too much interest in offered foods.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were raised on TDO (X Small), Hikari Mysis, and Spirulina Artemia. They may be a bit shy as singles but normally feeding them shouldn't be a problem. I have a few who escaped to the sump of the breeding system and they got by there on pods and whatever else they could find. If you have enough pods and tiny critters in the tank they might not show too much interest in offered foods.
That may be what is going on. There is a lot of pods and things crawling around in there. I ordered some additional pods from algae barn to dump in there. Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing the "secret sauce"!

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be what is going on. There is a lot of pods and things crawling around in there. I ordered some additional pods from algae barn to dump in there. Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing the "secret sauce"!
Share some pictures! I'd love to see where the little guys end up.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share some pictures! I'd love to see where the little guys end up.
I sure will once he comes out. Still buries his head when i
Come by. Put a couple of fire fish with him to act like dither fish.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure will once he comes out. Still buries his head when i
Come by. Put a couple of fire fish with him to act like dither fish.
Be careful! Firefish seem like harmless docile fish but they can be mean monsters. I had a pair of firefish killing off a pair of dottybacks I had with them in quarantine.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful! Firefish seem like harmless docile fish but they can be mean monsters. I had a pair of firefish killing off a pair of dottybacks I had with them in quarantine.
Those must have been filefish from hell. I have kept 10-15 or so over the yeras.

So far so good. Betta finally out and exploring a bit. Still buries his head in a hole whenever im a close. Appears to be eating though, just have not seen him yet.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those must have been filefish from hell. I have kept 10-15 or so over the yeras.

So far so good. Betta finally out and exploring a bit. Still buries his head in a hole whenever im a close. Appears to be eating though, just have not seen him yet.
The firefish were not from Hell but from Africa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back