Maroon with other clowns

Marine Iguana

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
155
Reaction score
111
Location
Williamsport, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 150g 5x2x2 tank that I’m working on setting up after being out of the hobby for several years.

I’m really wanting to do a pair of true percula’s (wild if I can find them, bonus if they’re Solomon island- don’t know if I’ll be able to track those down haha). My father has a large female gold stripe maroon clown that he got as an adult 15 years ago that I have quite an emotional attachment to though, and he wants to tear down his tank and give me it.

I know that people often keep more than a single pair of clowns in larger tanks, but I haven’t found a lot of examples of mixing Premnas and Amphiprion species together. Knowing that all fish are individuals, do you think that there’s enough real estate in this tank for a pair of perks and a single, old maroon? If not, I’m prioritizing the “ancient of days” maroon clown and might get her a young designer male to pair with!

Thanks for any insight!
 
In my 20 years of reefing, the maroon clown might be the meanest fish I've encountered. Only ever had one. But I've heard many reefers speak of their aggression, lack of respect for new fish additions, and a propensity to bite the hand that feeds them. I doubt an old grumpy maroon clown will be happy to see other clowns in her tank. Even in a 150 it's a risk. I'd be prepared to catch her and give her her own 20g tank.
 
As said, maroon will be a ba$****. Especially if they're wild caught. No reason to get a wild-caught clownfish anyways.
 
If it was a younger juvenile maroon, I say maybe the other clowns will survive. In the op's case, I wouldn't try it. The maroon will already be bezerko being moved to another tank, let alone dumping in other nom maroon clowns.

Yet I love the fish, lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new