Maroon with other clowns

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 150g 5x2x2 tank that I’m working on setting up after being out of the hobby for several years.

I’m really wanting to do a pair of true percula’s (wild if I can find them, bonus if they’re Solomon island- don’t know if I’ll be able to track those down haha). My father has a large female gold stripe maroon clown that he got as an adult 15 years ago that I have quite an emotional attachment to though, and he wants to tear down his tank and give me it.

I know that people often keep more than a single pair of clowns in larger tanks, but I haven’t found a lot of examples of mixing Premnas and Amphiprion species together. Knowing that all fish are individuals, do you think that there’s enough real estate in this tank for a pair of perks and a single, old maroon? If not, I’m prioritizing the “ancient of days” maroon clown and might get her a young designer male to pair with!

Thanks for any insight!

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20 years of reefing, the maroon clown might be the meanest fish I've encountered. Only ever had one. But I've heard many reefers speak of their aggression, lack of respect for new fish additions, and a propensity to bite the hand that feeds them. I doubt an old grumpy maroon clown will be happy to see other clowns in her tank. Even in a 150 it's a risk. I'd be prepared to catch her and give her her own 20g tank.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a younger juvenile maroon, I say maybe the other clowns will survive. In the op's case, I wouldn't try it. The maroon will already be bezerko being moved to another tank, let alone dumping in other nom maroon clowns.

Yet I love the fish, lol.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back