Mars LED controllable?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to switch to the Mars LEDs but aren't having much luck finding out of they are controllable. I'm going to get rid of my kessil blues because I can't set them up for a daily cycle.

Are these controllable and easy to setup? I think one said it has built in settings for this, maybe I don't even need a controller?

My lfs uses these on all their tanks and I like the idea of having The same lights, I just don't want to have to flip switches and turn dials thrpughout the day.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to switch to the Mars LEDs but aren't having much luck finding out of they are controllable. I'm going to get rid of my kessil blues because I can't set them up for a daily cycle.

Are these controllable and easy to setup? I think one said it has built in settings for this, maybe I don't even need a controller?

My lfs uses these on all their tanks and I like the idea of having The same lights, I just don't want to have to flip switches and turn dials thrpughout the day.

The one I have only came with dials...but it is easily modded to run with a controller. I modded mine to run off an apex with the 0-10v port.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm new to this, but modded?

It does not come ready to hook up to a controller. If you wish to do that, you would have to open it up and modify it to accept a network cable (for the apex anyways)

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apologies on the terse reply...

My familiarity with the Mars LED is a hydroponic fixture using dated Chinese Generic three watt LEDs...Not my first or second choice...

Kessil is a good light but somewhat lacking in the hint of 620-670nm and necessary 410-430nm spectrum. I would keep this and augment with a controllable true sunrise and sunset fixture using quality LEDs, Made In The USA...

I would not follow LFS recommendations unless they have their SPS Coral under a 250-400 watt MH equivalent, and their LPS under at least a 250 watt MH equivalent...

Sad to say but a lot of LFS are only keeping livestock alive to sell...They are not in the "grow business"...

Most of the distributors use MH Lighting...Some Do Not... Given the two or three hands each coral passes through, its a safe acclimation to put coral for sale under reduced lighting...reduced aka low or non-optimal lighting.

Acclimation is necessary and optimal lighting is key to great growth.

Chinese Fixtures are cost effective and some offer a good margin for retailers but they are Made in China...Caveat Emptor...

Some are OK, Some turn off when you use your TV remote, Some are cost effective, and some use generic parts that in no way will ever be CE or UL/UR listed.

google "chinese led caught fire"

This forum is for questions concerning www.reefledlights.com products and any questions concerning DIY LEDs and or comparison and opinions from our staff.

Feel Free to contact us with these questions or comments.

Bill

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apologies on the terse reply...

My familiarity with the Mars LED is a hydroponic fixture using dated Chinese Generic three watt LEDs...Not my first or second choice...

Kessil is a good light but somewhat lacking in the hint of 620-670nm and necessary 410-430nm spectrum. I would keep this and augment with a controllable true sunrise and sunset fixture using quality LEDs, Made In The USA...

I would not follow LFS recommendations unless they have their SPS Coral under a 250-400 watt MH equivalent, and their LPS under at least a 250 watt MH equivalent...

Sad to say but a lot of LFS are only keeping livestock alive to sell...They are not in the "grow business"...

Most of the distributors use MH Lighting...Some Do Not... Given the two or three hands each coral passes through, its a safe acclimation to put coral for sale under reduced lighting...reduced aka low or non-optimal lighting.

Acclimation is necessary and optimal lighting is key to great growth.

Chinese Fixtures are cost effective and some offer a good margin for retailers but they are Made in China...Caveat Emptor...

Some are OK, Some turn off when you use your TV remote, Some are cost effective, and some use generic parts that in no way will ever be CE or UL/UR listed.

google "chinese led caught fire"

This forum is for questions concerning www.reefledlights.com products and any questions concerning DIY LEDs and or comparison and opinions from our staff.

Feel Free to contact us with these questions or comments.

Bill

First I would like to say I feel I have a good lfs, they are locals and I know the manager personally. They have good looking tanks and they don't want to send you home with something that will die.

I am on a budget and have looked at diy LEDs, and while I am confident in most areas, it is just confusing to me. Last one I priced came back @$1200. If I could do this @500 or less please guide me. I would rather buy local if I could.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to say I feel I have a good lfs, they are locals and I know the manager personally. They have good looking tanks and they don't want to send you home with something that will die.

I am on a budget and have looked at diy LEDs, and while I am confident in most areas, it is just confusing to me. Last one I priced came back @$1200. If I could do this @500 or less please guide me. I would rather buy local if I could.

Sbreeflights has controllable led's for under $500 and I believe is a sponsor here on r2r

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lucky to have a good LFS in Chicago we have a few good ones like New Fish and Reef Geeks who care about their coral, we also have some bad ones.

As far as LEDs go you generally pay for what you get. Chinese LEDs are inexpensive because they generally use dated three watt LEDs or use lower binnned Cree. They also are weak in the 410-420nm range. These LEDs are rather expensive. Some also use unlabeled powersupplies and drivers...This I find disturbing as I would not want to or recommend using not UL or CE listed components. Reliability is also an issue and every time you change you light it stresses your corals.

DIY gives you the best bang for the buck. We just listed our XTC DIY Kit for under $300. Its equivelant to a 400 watt MH, can be easilly mounted in any hood and can be controlled by the Storm Controller.

Building is easy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back