MasterTronic Pricing Released

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what happened to the good old days when so many people moaned about the Mindstreams Ten Parameter tests for $995 and disks for $35 a month with a test every 15 minutes?
This right here is gold and made me laugh. I’d still to this day get a mindstream and pay a monthly membership if it were still available.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It need different reagents..... it is like reef bots....

89BD1944-51F1-4CC0-9186-D9CFDA5360AD.jpeg
They missed the boat on the reagents. So you’d have to go out and find all of the different reagents from different companies. And companies will sometimes change their reagents up so if the machine can’t be programmed to deal with a new reagent, then the machine becomes useless.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction to $1300 price tag is the same. But think about alkatronic that only test for one and cost $900, it's not that much more.

Then also consider there are Roomba that sell for $1000+ while you can buy a broom for couple dollars, it kinda make sense a bit more.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction to $1300 price tag is the same. But think about alkatronic that only test for one and cost $900, it's not that much more.

Then also consider there are Roomba that sell for $1000+ while you can buy a broom for couple dollars, it kinda make sense a bit more.
Start doing the math on the reagents and it won’t be so appealing.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here is gold and made me laugh. I’d still to this day get a mindstream and pay a monthly membership if it were still available.
Yep I would buy one in a second. Given what’s on the market today it would be a huge upgrade at half the price.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah but alk to me is way more valuable than anything else. I’ve never had a tank crash because calcium/magnesium/NO3/PO4. More like oxygen deficiency and temperature I’d rate higher than those as important. NO3/PO4 can become a problem but only if you completely neglect your tank.

Had a Roomda and it wasn’t worth the $1100 I paid for it so I returned it too.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
reefbot is what I would recommend. Works pretty well for still being in beta. I rely on this machine heavily since I am away from the tank at months at a time.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbot is what I would recommend. Works pretty well for still being in beta. I rely on this machine heavily since I am away from the tank at months at a time.

The ReefBot is still in BETA? Thing that also scares me away from the ReefBot is not only some of the stories, but will the company be around in the next 5 years?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ReefBot is still in BETA? Thing that also scares me away from the ReefBot is not only some of the stories, but will the company be around in the next 5 years?

ILast time i cared to check it was. The product is always getting improved with my chemicals that can be checked as well as test kits to use...they are actually working on a doser that syncs up to the bot which would be awesome. Like all products some will have issues even the trifent has issues. Each testing device has its pros and cons. Now i cannot speak for how long the company will be around but having used the product i cannot see why they wouldnt be.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this post from @robbyg on the ReefBot. Seems it has some real concerns.

Disadvantages
1. Only use 50% of the vials
2. If a test kit used manually test 50 you get way less test than that from the ReefBot.
3. If the unit is offline it is pretty much useless (cannot do anything not even test).
4. No local access to the unit.
5. Test take a really long time to complete.
6. The unit is very large.
7. Support hours

Advantages
1. It test a lot of parameters
2. You can use a wide range of test kits
3. Pricing not terrible at $900.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to agree with some of those disadvantages! The vials is probably my biggest pet peeve. But some such as the support is actually an advantage. Anytime I have a concern I either email them and or send a ticket in the app and I am replied to within 24hrs 7-days a week. Yes the times of the test take a while for me an average around 40min using the tests I use. What I usually do is test at night so I get the results in the morning. I can see why some people see this as a disadvantage I personally see it as neutral as Im still getting test results compared to if I did it because...I wouldn't test as often lol. When you say no local access what do you mean? Are you talking about manipulating the software inside the unit? One advantage is that this bot does everything the alkatronic and mastertronic does but in one device instead of multiple.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't I buy an affordable solution that just measures alk and adds two part. Why does every solution have to add so many bells and whistles?

I dont really care about anything else being automated except alk testing. I can test the others by hand. And then i want an affordable solution to add two part based on the automated alk test.

What is the best option? It gets confusing and I have not bought a controller or anything else related to the above due to it. Just so much money.

If the Xepta ever hits the market that could be the way to go for you.

I’ve looked at focustronics stuff several times And would like to support them since one of the people behind it, Jonas, is also a Swedish reefer that’s very active on our local forum. However, I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger since it feels like their stuff is grossly overpriced (they are not alone in that but that’s a different thread).

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't I buy an affordable solution that just measures alk and adds two part. Why does every solution have to add so many bells and whistles?

I dont really care about anything else being automated except alk testing. I can test the others by hand. And then i want an affordable solution to add two part based on the automated alk test.

What is the best option? It gets confusing and I have not bought a controller or anything else related to the above due to it. Just so much money.
Then get a KH Director or Alkatronic. Both just test Alk and both can work without a controller and the reagents are cheap and even cheaper if you DIY your own.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Xepta ever hits the market that could be the way to go for you.

I’ve looked at focustronics stuff several times And would like to support them since one of the people behind it, Jonas, is also a Swedish reefer that’s very active on our local forum. However, I just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger since it feels like their stuff is grossly overpriced (they are not alone in that but that’s a different thread).

Xepta is already available in some countries in Europe, I am using one.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xepta is already available in some countries in Europe, I am using one.
Can you shed some light on how well the N03 testing works? Any chatter about P04 testing?

Maybe give a brief description and your overall experience and opinion??

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back