Mattgsa 315 gallon build

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right about the Yellow tang, I went over to TSMAquatics, and they are selling small ones for 149. However, I can't imagine that price will not going up now that they are the only supplier, and I'm sure the damand will not go down. The good news for me is I don't like yellow tangs. So I will not be buying one. LOL. I do want some Kole tangs. I guess i will have to be patient and see if the fishery re-opens in the future. In the mean time I will keep my eyes open for a fox face. Granted not my first choice but still a good algae eater.
Yeah I want 3-5 yellow tangs in my tank. Lol love them in schools

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have found my Achillies Tang, he or she will be ready for purchase on Thursday, and I didn't have to refinance the house. Just the car and one of the kids, just kidding. I can't wait to get some life in the tank. That being said I have a lot of work to do. I now have to get my PH up and the ammonia down. Looks, like I need a large water change, and some Kalc dosing setup. The other problem I will have is I don't have any lights on the tank. I'm going to order some but i don't think they will get here before the fish. So I did just install a new LED light fixture in the room. I think it is bright enough to give the fish the feeling of day light. I will try to remember to take a picture tonight.

Last edited:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish will be fine with ambient lighting until your lights show up. Don't sweat having the perfect pH either. Having it stable is more important than a specific number. Awesome that you found one of the fish that you really wanted. Glad you were able to secure it and good luck with it. Can't wait to see some pictures of it in the tank.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally remember to post some pics, sorry still no fish.
IMG_0511.jpg

I also added some algae, not for nutrient control but to feed the Achillies whenever it should arrive.
IMG_0509.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't think my effort to get an Achillies tang is going to work out. They keep saying they are going to get on in stock but never do. So I think I found another contender, I'm just worried about the size. Dussumieri Tang let me know what you think.
1611956374497.png

Last edited:

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't think my effort to get an Achillies tang is going to work out. They keep saying they are going to get on in stock but never do. So I think I found another contender, I'm just worried about the size. Dussumieri Tang let me know what you think.
1611956374497.png
Do it. There beautiful fish. When they get to there monster size, donate to the public aquarium

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1611956374497.png

The tank boss decided and the perfect excuse for an upgrade!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I should have done my research before posting, it appears this fish is from Hawaii too. However, I do have some calls out to see if it is too late to order one.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I should have done my research before posting, it appears this fish is from Hawaii too. However, I do have some calls out to see if it is too late to order one.

It would be less popular due to it's eventual size so hopefully you will get lucky and still find one.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good News!!! Last night I ordered my Achillies tang. That makes a total of four fish on their way. To catch you up, I have a Blue Tang (Dori) and the Achillies coming from Marine Collectors, and I have a Yellow Eye Kole Tang and a One Spot Foxface coming from TSM Aquatics.

Next, we will most likely add some Wrasses; I also need to find a clownfish for the kids.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good News!!! Last night I ordered my Achillies tang. That makes a total of four fish on their way. To catch you up, I have a Blue Tang (Dori) and the Achillies coming from Marine Collectors, and I have a Yellow Eye Kole Tang and a One Spot Foxface coming from TSM Aquatics.

Next, we will most likely add some Wrasses; I also need to find a clownfish for the kids.
Hopefully your wife isn't aware of the Hawaii ban... do not want know the cost of the Achillies. I have one, all I can say is it is a showpiece fish and he knows it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully your wife isn't aware of the Hawaii ban... do not want know the cost of the Achillies. I have one, all I can say is it is a showpiece fish and he knows it.
Actually, the wife is perfectly aware and even approved the price. I have been talking about getting this fish for a long time. I really do have a great wife.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back