OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put the dos in your garage? Or do the water changes at a time of day the noise won't matter? It would save the expense of a hole new dosing pump.
I spoke to my wife about this, and she said it's not loud enough to continue to worry about it. However, it is annoying me. I would like to put it in the garage to see if it's any better. The only thing is I have 3 of these that I plan on using. I'm really hoping they are not all this loud. I was even thinking of putting it in the attic but here in Texas, it can get hot up there. I'm sure you have the same problem in Australia. If I can't get the noise down, I will have to come up with something else. I really like the idea of a continuous water change. I think it will be less impactful on the corals. Not to mention the water reservoir is in the garage so due to the heat in the summer I would not be able to easily do a large water change.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to my wife about this, and she said it's not loud enough to continue to worry about it. However, it is annoying me. I would like to put it in the garage to see if it's any better. The only thing is I have 3 of these that I plan on using. I'm really hoping they are not all this loud. I was even thinking of putting it in the attic but here in Texas, it can get hot up there. I'm sure you have the same problem in Australia. If I can't get the noise down, I will have to come up with something else. I really like the idea of a continuous water change. I think it will be less impactful on the corals. Not to mention the water reservoir is in the garage so due to the heat in the summer I would not be able to easily do a large water change.
I even had the idea of coming up with a box to put it in to help conceal the noise. I'm thinking an insulated box would help cut down on the noise. I'm just not sure what type of ventilation the pump needs.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else that I thought was unusual. My ORP has been on the rise ever since I turned on the UV. Right now my hypothesis is the bacterial bloom was causing the low reading. Since the water is clearing so is the ORP.
1606944761701.png

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else that I thought was unusual. My ORP has been on the rise ever since I turned on the UV. Right now my hypothesis is the bacterial bloom was causing the low reading. Since the water is clearing so is the ORP.
1606944761701.png

Bacteria uses oxygen when processing so reduced bacteria levels causing higher oxygen levels would make sense.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, right now I have the water lines running under the garage door which is causing problems. So the wife has given permission to run the lines through the wall instead. Which made me want to see if I make it look better. I discovered that I'm not really good at eyeballing it. I'm ordering some wiring grommets for that wire. I want it to look nice. LOL
IMG_0473.jpg

I ordered some of these
1607032160455.png

so that I can run the tubes straight down the wall instead of out and down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update, but the tank is really started to clear up.
IMG_0475.jpg

However I had an idea, I'm wondering if it is a bad idea. I don't like the ATO coming over the top.

IMG_0476.jpg

So I'm thinking about running it into the external overflow.

IMG_0474.jpg

Good idea or bad idea?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0475.jpg

However I had an idea, I'm wondering if it is a bad idea. I don't like the ATO coming over the top.

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Good idea or bad idea?

My concern would be, can it back siphon if your drains clog up and the water level rises? Maybe have it enter through the lid of the overflow box rather than the side wall might be safer.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a couple really small water changes just to test out the new system. Better check it now then when there is no live stock in the tank depending on it. What I found is the tube in the saltwater reservoir would curl up and there for the pump would just suck air. Thus the ATO would top off the tank with fresh water, and and the salinity would go down. So I added a weight. Eventually I will add a bulk head with an acrylic tube, but this was a quick easy fix with things I had laying around.
IMG_0478.jpg

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Good idea or bad idea?
Run the ATO to the sump.
In the end, that is the place where you want your equipment to be.
The display tank is called "display" for a reason (unless this pipe is display proof... ;)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the ATO to the sump.
In the end, that is the place where you want your equipment to be.
The display tank is called "display" for a reason (unless this pipe is display proof... ;)
I want to run the ATO to the sump, however, it siphons water from my reservoir since the water level is higher then the sump water level.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to run the ATO to the sump, however, it siphons water from my reservoir since the water level is higher then the sump water level.
I had the same problem in my previous tank and added a Pacific Sun ATO with optical sensor and solenoid valve.
In your case, if you want to run it in the display and need a clean solution, check the freshwater section of some webshops. They have those stainless steel U-bends in small diameter that are not interfering with the view.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem in my previous tank and added a Pacific Sun ATO with optical sensor and solenoid valve.
In your case, if you want to run it in the display and need a clean solution, check the freshwater section of some webshops. They have those stainless steel U-bends in small diameter that are not interfering with the view.
That's interesting, I have never heard of that ATO. My only concern with that system is what if the solenoid fails. I do like your other idea as well. I'll see if they have something in plastic, metal and saltwater never go well together.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I have never heard of that ATO. My only concern with that system is what if the solenoid fails. I do like your other idea as well. I'll see if they have something in plastic, metal and saltwater never go well together.

Freshwater have those glass u bend pipes too. As it's for ato tubing it should work ok without cleaning or corrosion problems.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most likely being impatient but my cycle feels stalled. The ammonia level has been sitting at .8 for a couple of weeks. I'm not going to do anything for now. Perhaps add more bacteria. I was thinking of turning off the return pump, and adding a lot of bacteria, and giving it more of a chance to settle into the rock without having to worry about being shot around the tank. I'm even considering adding some live rock from the Gulf Coast to the sump, while I don't like the idea of possibly introducing pests one can't deny the benefit to the overall health of the tank. I'm certainly not going to add any livestock right now.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even had the idea of coming up with a box to put it in to help conceal the noise. I'm thinking an insulated box would help cut down on the noise. I'm just not sure what type of ventilation the pump needs.

This can be the right solution for you. You can make it fancy or cheap. Cabinet will work with insulation on the inside or you can buy the fancy noise cancelling stuff. For venting there is a few solutions. If you want to vent without the noise, think of it as your house plumbing it. Run a sealed vent line to some other location ( attic, outdoors, other room)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be the right solution for you. You can make it fancy or cheap. Cabinet will work with insulation on the inside or you can buy the fancy noise cancelling stuff. For venting there is a few solutions. If you want to vent without the noise, think of it as your house plumbing it. Run a sealed vent line to some other location ( attic, outdoors, other room)
I'm thinking its going to have to be a large box to fit all of them in there. This weekend I'm going to try and move this one to the garage, to see how that works. However. that will not be ideal for the other two.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking its going to have to be a large box to fit all of them in there. This weekend I'm going to try and move this one to the garage, to see how that works. However. that will not be ideal for the other two.
I mean it is worth a shot for both. You can always re do it at a later date.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back