OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently working on a 200 gallon water change. I just use the last of my salt, so I will have to order more on BRS first thing Monday, or tomorrow.
So panning for your thoughts. I’m thinking about doing the 200 gallon water change using the Neptune DOS, I want to do it in a relatively short period of time. Let’s say 24 hours?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that those UV sterilizer unions are tough to get tight enough. A normal plumbers wrench didn’t cut it for me. I had to use a wrench for oil changes. This was a game changer for me for tightening large diameter unions and bulkheads.

EBF9D3E9-8429-46A8-80B8-1DCF7D42D844.jpeg
6E6EE1AD-294E-46E3-B44B-FF335223D722.jpeg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently working on a 200 gallon water change. I just use the last of my salt, so I will have to order more on BRS first thing Monday, or tomorrow.
So panning for your thoughts. I’m thinking about doing the 200 gallon water change using the Neptune DOS, I want to do it in a relatively short period of time. Let’s say 24 hours?

For that big of a water change I would use your return pump and a hose so you don't wear out the heads on the dos.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that big of a water change I would use your return pump and a hose so you don't wear out the heads on the dos.
You’re probably right, I just don’t have a hose ready for connection to my return pump. Which means I would have to pump out the water first, and hope I pumped out the right amount to refill the tank since I’m all out salt. I guess the only other option would be to wait until the plumbing is more complete, or do the water change over a longer period of time.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait on the water change until the bacteria bloom runs its course and consumes whatever they're feeding on.
Do you feel that a water change would deplete whatever they’re feeding on faster, or am I just being impatient? To tell you the truth I have been known for my impatience.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that a water change could replenish what they feed on and continue the bloom. Let it run its course or if you're too impatient for that then get the uv going to deal with it quicker. Once it has cleared up then do a smaller water change.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it, I think you’re right. I’m thinking back when I’ve had to add large amounts of water due to leaking, or my mistakes. The bloom got worse afterwards. I will hold off on the water change for now, and hopefully get the UV sterilizer up and running. Thanks

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the water change was a no go. I managed to get the UV sterilizer online
image.jpg

The only possible problem I see is the flow sensor says there are only 657 gallons going through, and that’s with the pump on high. I may have to order another pump. I’m a little disappointed in this Varios six pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the ammonia today, and it as down to .8.Hopefully within the next few weeks will be ready for fish. With the UV turned on the tank is finally starting to clear up.
E270D6E8-4598-4A75-8E4C-AC1307128656.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also made some progress running the lines for the auto water change. However it doesn’t look very nice so I ordered some fittings to make it look nicer, I just have to wait for them to come in the mail. I’ll post pictures later

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear things are moving forward, even with all the little setbacks. I know if feels like everything is moving way to slow right now, but it will all be worth it in the end. Can't wait to see it all together.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks are notoriously noisy. I’m assuming where it pours over the lip and drops into the sock, right? Did you get a “silencer”? These round lids that go inside the sock? Even with those it’s still noisy. The filter floss will help, but it’s still a pain. You can also try raising the water level in the next compartment so the water doesn’t drop as much. One reason why I skipped that compartment.
I'm sorry, I was just going through the form again, and realized I completely missed your post. No, I did not know they had silencers. Where do you find them? I think it is time for Google.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I was just going through the form again, and realized I completely missed your post. No, I did not know they had silencers. Where do you find them? I think it is time for Google.
I found these over at Synergy Reef. They are a little on the pricy side. However, they are nice looking and would match the overall look of the sump. I will have to think about it. Seeing the prices of these things is making me think about getting a CNC machine. I can see that conversation going well with the wife. "YOU WANT WHAT?!":p
1606751091698.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my dilemma right now. I not sure when to buy lighting. I want to add fish but I can use cheap lighting for that. I don't want to start with high power lighting to soon, and fight large amounts of algae. I can argue this point both ways.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my dilemma right now. I not sure when to buy lighting. I want to add fish but I can use cheap lighting for that. I don't want to start with high power lighting to soon, and fight large amounts of algae. I can argue this point both ways.

Get your refugium light first and let the uglies go there. Once you're finished the ugly stage in the refugium, then you can set up the display lighting and you won't have had to deal with the uglies in the display. And the refugium is a smaller area to clean. This also allows the nitrifying bacteria to colonise the rock in the display without competition from the uglies.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your refugium light first and let the uglies go there. Once you're finished the ugly stage in the refugium, then you can set up the display lighting and you won't have had to deal with the uglies in the display. And the refugium is a smaller area to clean. This also allows the nitrifying bacteria to colonise the rock in the display without competition from the uglies.
I just may do that. But right now my sump is so pretty. LOL

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the lines for the auto water change temporary in place. (I'm not sure how temporary at this point.) I did a test of 5 gallons since I really don't want to start doing large water changes right now. I figured 5 gallons wouldn't hurt anything in a 315-gallon tank. It all works just fine, and much to my surprise no leaks. LOL. The water you see in the picture was from the install of the elbows. I wanted to make sure the pump could pull the water all the way before I went through all the trouble of installing the elbows. So naturally when I cut the line the water came out. The one thing I didn't like which was brought up earlier in the form was the noise. They were right the pump is loud. I can hear it everywhere in the house.
Here are a couple of pictures I took.
IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

So I'm thinking about getting a Stenner double head pump and placing it in the garage. Does anyone know if these are just as loud?
1606922276385.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny in looking at this picture, I think I got my tubs backwards on the right side head.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the lines for the auto water change temporary in place. (I'm not sure how temporary at this point.) I did a test of 5 gallons since I really don't want to start doing large water changes right now. I figured 5 gallons wouldn't hurt anything in a 315-gallon tank. It all works just fine, and much to my surprise no leaks. LOL. The water you see in the picture was from the install of the elbows. I wanted to make sure the pump could pull the water all the way before I went through all the trouble of installing the elbows. So naturally when I cut the line the water came out. The one thing I didn't like which was brought up earlier in the form was the noise. They were right the pump is loud. I can hear it everywhere in the house.
Here are a couple of pictures I took.
IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

So I'm thinking about getting a Stenner double head pump and placing it in the garage. Does anyone know if these are just as loud?
1606922276385.png

Can you put the dos in your garage? Or do the water changes at a time of day the noise won't matter? It would save the expense of a hole new dosing pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back