OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mixed up a gallon of this last night (he's not joking when he says it gets hot). It does have a big impact on PH even with just a small amount. For example, I put in fifty mils and it raised the tank PH by .6. The problem with my ph is so depressed it would require hundreds of Mls a day just to keep the PH above 8.
So I set the DOS to dose 1000mls when the ph is below 8, and it works great. The PH didn't go below eight all night, and the ALK went up to 8.85DKH, which is fine with me. I was thinking about possibly going back to Kalk, but now, I don't think so. I made a total of three gallons today. I want to see how long that lasts me. I think it had to dose a lot last night since the PH was so low. I am curious to see what it will require when it does not have to play catchup.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame, but when a company doesn't make a quality product, this happens. The destination of every @geo reactor. I'll never buy GEO again.
IMG_0592.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, my Nitrates are testing at 0.0, and my phosphate is at .035. However, my corals are doing great and have great color. I have been dosing Fuel. I'm tempted not to do anything except maybe increase my nitrate dose from 30mls to maybe 50.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, my Nitrates are testing at 0.0, and my phosphate is at .035. However, my corals are doing great and have great color. I have been dosing Fuel. I'm tempted not to do anything except maybe increase my nitrate dose from 30mls to maybe 50.
Don't fix what isn't broke. If anything go from 30 to 35. Slow slow increase

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently using @Randy Holmes-Farley Alk solution that helps with PH. I thought I was dosing it to a high-flow section of the sump. However, this weekend when working the sump, I noticed a large white cloud in that section of the sump. I didn't put 2 and 2 together at first and mixed it up. It quickly shot the tank's PH up, and the tank turned white. The PH went from 8.3 to 8.6. I panicked and stopped working on the tank. The coral and fish seemed not to care and showed no signs of stress. I still have a lot of the residue sitting in the sump. I did, however, move the dosing line to the intake for the return pump. I have also ordered a power head with a vacuum attachment from BRS. I hope I can suck the rest of it out and not affect the PH so much.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, tell me if I'm crazy. As you already know, I have 12 XR15s hanging over the tank. They are causing a wiring nightmare. Not to mention what do I do with all those power bricks? So I have been researching ways of powering the lights. So right now, I'm thinking about getting 12 PLC power supplies that are made by the same company and putting them all in one PLC control box. Keep in mind this is my first time doing anything with PLC.
1664905601064.png

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently using @Randy Holmes-Farley Alk solution that helps with PH. I thought I was dosing it to a high-flow section of the sump. However, this weekend when working the sump, I noticed a large white cloud in that section of the sump. I didn't put 2 and 2 together at first and mixed it up. It quickly shot the tank's PH up, and the tank turned white. The PH went from 8.3 to 8.6. I panicked and stopped working on the tank. The coral and fish seemed not to care and showed no signs of stress. I still have a lot of the residue sitting in the sump. I did, however, move the dosing line to the intake for the return pump. I have also ordered a power head with a vacuum attachment from BRS. I hope I can suck the rest of it out and not affect the PH so much.
I've noticed ever since starting this, my calcium is dropping at a phenomenal rate. It makes me wonder if I'm doing it wrong. I can't help but think that the calcium is being pulled out by dosing the sodium hydroxide.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started working on my wiring mess. So here is before;
IMG_0605.jpg

Here is after, admittedly, not much improvement.
IMG_0607.jpg

You can see all the Kalk spilled on the floor from the defective reactors. I need to clean it up.

And I removed all the defective equipment.
IMG_0606.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I saw something that has me scared. My Achilles' tang has one cloudy eye. It is not at all swollen or popping out. I think it results from an injury caused by the other tangs in the tank. I don't think it's Flukes since no new fish have been added to the tank in over a year, and all the other fish are great. I find it hard to believe it is a serious bacterial infection since I run an 80-watt UV sterilizer 24/7. However, just in case, I ordered a new bulb for it, and I ordered some Malafix, along with adding some Pureit to the system as well.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for such a long delay in post. The Achilles eye is all healed. I stopped using Randy’s recipe, because all the other parameters went out of control. I loved Kalk but my second reactor quit working, and I’m not wasting any more money chasing PH. I’m going to set the calcium reactor and not worry too much. I have thought of adding CO2 scrubber on the skimmer.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my ph prob has gone crazy
85414791-8B33-4B10-A313-8A2607180AB5.jpeg

one of several reasons not use for controlling vital functions.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so the Octo varios 6 pump I had running the 80 UV sterilizer went belly up. So I have ordered an RE(Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy Pump 50 Watt (1321 GPH)) pump to replace it with. I also order the Ecotec dosing pump to run the calcium reactor.
I also ordered a frag pack of Goniapora from Unique corals. I have a lava lamp goni in the tank and have taken a liking to it.
I have been looking at the tank the last couple of weeks, and I'm starting not to like the bare bottom. I'm really thinking about adding sand to the system. Not only for the look but there are several wrasses that I want, and they all require sand to live happily.

Last edited:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, I have a 300 with 20 pounds of sand in my back right corner for the two wrasses I have and the rest is bare bottom. You could make area with sand if you still want to keep bare bottom.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always something with the tank, isn't it? Failed pump, bad heater, want to change something. Glad you are still going strong in spite of the challenges.

As far as sand goes, I personally can't imagine a reef tank without sand. I think you will love the aesthetics, plus it gives a lot more surface area for microbial activity that I feel adds to the stability of a tank. There is some maintenance involved with a sand bed, but totally worth it IMO.

Keep us updated.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so the Octo varios 6 pump I had running the 80 UV sterilizer went belly up. So I have ordered an RE(Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy Pump 50 Watt (1321 GPH)) pump to replace it with. I also order the Ecotec dosing pump to run the calcium reactor.
I also ordered a frag pack of Goniapora from Unique corals. I have a lava lamp goni in the tank and have taken a liking to it.
I have been looking at the tank the last couple of weeks, and I'm starting not to like the bare bottom. I'm really thinking about adding sand to the system. Not only for the look but there are several wrasses that I want, and they all require sand to live happily.
Well, the Red Dragon is stuck in shipping limbo, I'm sure, due to the weather up north. However, oddly enough the Octo decided to start working again last night.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the shipping delays. Hopefully your new pump gets there sooner than later.

Glad the old pump is working, but I would not trust it long term. Once they start acting wonky, they normally don't straighten themselves out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back