Mattgsa 315 gallon build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, be aware that high magnesium levels will kill snails. If you have any, they need to be removed from your tank to a safe place, until you lower the magnesium level back to normal later.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, be aware that high magnesium levels will kill snails. If you have any, they need to be removed from your tank to a safe place, until you lower the magnesium level back to normal later.
I wasn’t planning on going that high. I was thinking 1500. According to the article he didn’t go over 1500.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to tell you about what happened today. When I read the article from reef builders. I sent Brightwell a question simply asking if there is any truth to the article. Well, I was just expecting an email reply in a day or so. Much to my surprise, the owner of Brightwell called me. I'm very impressed; I will start buying many more Brightwell products.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so this came in the mail today.
IMG_0473 1.jpg
It probably will not surprise you, but this is not for the reef tank. It is to replace this.
IMG_0474 1.jpg
I even talked my inlaws into buying the same one. The wife approved the purchase, but her true feelings are still unknown at this time. I don't think there is any hiding the fact I'm obsessed.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following @dca22anderson 5k build, and he got me thinking about RODI. Right now my RODI system is costing me at least 38 cents per gallon. That's just accounting for the cost of Anions and Cations. That does not include the membranes or the carbon blocks. So I was looking at the Gapper, and I think it will cut my cost per gallon to less than half of what I'm paying now, and that's assuming I buy a whole new system every time rather than just the filter media.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just messing with Adobe. I clearly don't know what I'm doing.
TSA Bill Murray
IMG_0542.JPG

Unknown coral
IMG_0551.JPG

Homewrecker
IMG_0544.JPG

I think this is a piece of the PC rainbow. I found it on the bottom of the tank and put it on the plug. The only thing that has me questioning that is there are no other collors on it.
coral1.png

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in San Antonio, the electric bills are double what they were last year, even with using less power than last year. Don't get me started.
So right now I run my AC more to keep my tank cool, however, that is not very cost-effective. I have also read that chillers cost just as much to run as the AC. So I'm thinking about doing something like this. My only problem right now is all the tubing I can find in a good-size coil is 304, and not 316.
I even started to look into an idea with liquid nitrogen, but after doing some research that not going to work.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in San Antonio, the electric bills are double what they were last year, even with using less power than last year. Don't get me started.
So right now I run my AC more to keep my tank cool, however, that is not very cost-effective. I have also read that chillers cost just as much to run as the AC. So I'm thinking about doing something like this. My only problem right now is all the tubing I can find in a good-size coil is 304, and not 316.
I even started to look into an idea with liquid nitrogen, but after doing some research that not going to work.

Don't use 304 stainless whatever you do. Stick to 316 stainless or titanium only.

Another option would be fans over your tank for evaporative cooling with extractor fans as well to remove humidity.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if something like this would be better:

I have never heard of these. I bet these would work better than a coil. Also, welcome to R2R. Thanks

Don't use 304 stainless whatever you do. Stick to 316 stainless or titanium only.

Another option would be fans over your tank for evaporative cooling with extractor fans as well to remove humidity.
Right, I would never use 304. In fact, I was looking at Titanium heat transfer units.

Last night the wife and I were talking, and I realized that this project would have little effect on our bill. So we started talking about setting up a solar system with batteries and having the system run off solar. However, the system consumes 19Kwh a day. This would require an extensive solar system that would cost over 22k, not including installation. The ROI would take decades. So again, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you've got money to spare that you won't miss, it might be worth an experiment. Personally, if I had room in my sump, I'd sooner use that money towards one of those new Red Sea rollermats and be done with filter socks.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got money to spare that you won't miss, it might be worth an experiment. Personally, if I had room in my sump, I'd sooner use that money towards one of those new Red Sea rollermats and be done with filter socks.
Oh, I have looked, the problem is my sump is made out of PVC, and I would have to take a saws-all to it to get a roller made to fit. Or I can get three of those rollers that fit in a 7-inch filter sock. Which would cost a fortune. I was looking at these.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so the new Kalk reactor is dead, and I refuse to waste any more money on another Kalk reactor. There for, I'm going to try this from @Randy Holmes-Farley. I already have all the ingredients now it's just a matter of mixing and getting it into a container to dose.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a water test done on the water coming out of my softer and household carbon block. These are the results
1663941235887.png

Now to figure out the best way of filtering the water. Without blowing a lot of unnecessary money.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so the new Kalk reactor is dead, and I refuse to waste any more money on another Kalk reactor. There for, I'm going to try this from @Randy Holmes-Farley. I already have all the ingredients now it's just a matter of mixing and getting it into a container to dose.

Part 2 - The Alkalinity and Sulfate Part
Dissolve 282.8 g of sodium hydroxide (=7.07 moles of sodium hydroxide to match the 3.535 moles of sodium carbonate in alkalinity) plus 68.7 g of sodium sulfate in enough water to make a total volume of one gallon.
So I mixed up a gallon of this last night (he's not joking when he says it gets hot). It does have a big impact on PH even with just a small amount. For example, I put in fifty mils and it raised the tank PH by .6. The problem with my ph is so depressed it would require hundreds of Mls a day just to keep the PH above 8.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back