OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to post a video of a tank, however, just doesn’t seem to want to upload today.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had something interesting to share with you. However, right now I'm just waiting for the ugly stage to make its way through the tank.
On a positive note, I've only had fish in the tank for a couple of weeks, and they have all gained a lot of weight, even the wife was like "your fish are getting fat", and I was like OHHH YEAA. I feed them a lot. I don't want them to ever think food is in scarcity.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the tank in middle of the ugly stage. I finally got it to upload.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the tank in middle of the ugly stage. I finally got it to upload.
I do not see anything ugly. That looks just right.
I hope the diatoms disappear quickly.

What do you have in the bottom of the tank? Is that pvc?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see anything ugly. That looks just right.
I hope the diatoms disappear quickly.

What do you have in the bottom of the tank? Is that pvc?
Thanks,
That's 1/8" ABS plastic sheet.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to see traces of green hair algae. So I ordered some Vibrant just in case.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good back up plan. It will be interesting to see if your three tangs can stay on top of it in this size tank.
I ordered a Blond Nazo tang as well, I thought he would be here by now, however, it is taking longer than I thought. I'm also thinking about ordering a purple tang. Or perhaps just stop feeding them so much so they are forced to scavenge more. LOL (Probably not going to happen.) GBRSouth, I was wondering do you have a build thread? I was looking but didn't find one for you.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Blond Nazo tang as well, I thought he would be here by now, however, it is taking longer than I thought. I'm also thinking about ordering a purple tang. Or perhaps just stop feeding them so much so they are forced to scavenge more. LOL (Probably not going to happen.) GBRSouth, I was wondering do you have a build thread? I was looking but didn't find one for you.

No build thread yet. Maybe two years away. Planning a 450, 8'x3' deep x 30" tall. But have to tile the house for water spills, replace the single front door with a double to get the tank in and fit up solar power to offset the power usage.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good back up plan. It will be interesting to see if your three tangs can stay on top of it in this
It may be too soon to say, but I think you were right. I can't find any hair algae now. I was really hoping that I would not need the Vibrant. I was out of the house a lot over the weekend and didn't feed as much as I normally do, they must have gotten desperate.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I received the par meter from Neptune today, and it's currently reading 267 for mid-day. I wondering if I should turn up the lights some more. Here's a pic.

IMG_0717.jpg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On BRS par videos you're in the low end of good with 267 as they recommend 250 to 350 up high and lower for LPS down low. I think the low end would be good at first as you settle in new corals.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On BRS par videos you're in the low end of good with 267 as they recommend 250 to 350 up high and lower for LPS down low. I think the low end would be good at first as you settle in new corals.

I think you are right. I upped the PAR and I'm going to see what it looks like today. At one point during the adjustment, the par meter registered 499, which is way too much. I ordered some cheap frag for a trial. I will pick them up this weekend. So I will of course upload pictures.
IMG_0722.PNG

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news I think the ugly stage is ending. The brown fuzz and green hair algae are going away. The rest of it has turned white. Since I can't get videos to upload, I'm experimenting with YouTube. So here is a really poor quality video done with an iPhone.

Also, I was messing with the light, now the par reading in the middle (Same location as in the video) of the tank is 370+, I'm wishing I had taken a par measurement at the top of the tank. Even at the bottom of the tank, the par was still in the 270s. I have a feeling it going to be a challenge to grow softies in this tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm going to go pick up corals this weekend. I decided to do some testing on the water, and to my surprise, the salinity of the tank went up to 38. My first thought was the Tunze quit working again, but no everything looked good. So I checked the saltwater container for my auto water change, and that was correct. In the end, it turned out the tube to suck out dirty water was clogged by the filter sock was not sucking water. So basically I was topping off with saltwater. I was just thinking the other day that the tank was not blowing through the ATO water as quickly as it normally does, but didn't really think much of it. The nitrates are sitting at 2. The PH is still low, and I'm waiting on Hanna's agent to test ALK. For the time being, I will use Kalk to handle calcium and ALK, along with boosting PH.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm going to go pick up corals this weekend. I decided to do some testing on the water, and to my surprise, the salinity of the tank went up to 38. My first thought was the Tunze quit working again, but no everything looked good. So I checked the saltwater container for my auto water change, and that was correct. In the end, it turned out the tube to suck out dirty water was clogged by the filter sock was not sucking water. So basically I was topping off with saltwater. I was just thinking the other day that the tank was not blowing through the ATO water as quickly as it normally does, but didn't really think much of it. The nitrates are sitting at 2. The PH is still low, and I'm waiting on Hanna's agent to test ALK. For the time being, I will use Kalk to handle calcium and ALK, along with boosting PH.
Good that you made the double check.
Salinity is something i also check regularly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back