Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what came in the mail, finally.
IMG_0882.jpg

Now I just need to go get it filled.

Also got a little work done on the tank last night.
IMG_0883.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got back from a 4-day vacation, and the tank seems to be doing alright. However, the kalk is not keeping up with all. I need to get that CalRX online. The dino problem seems to be getting worst.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition I have spent hours this evening trying to get this blasted Calcium reactor working, and I have made no progress. No matter what I do no effluent will not come out.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition I have spent hours this evening trying to get this blasted Calcium reactor working, and I have made no progress. No matter what I do no effluent will come out.

Are there valves in the line that are closed/non return around the wrong way maybe?

Are your pump/pumps set up to push the water through/pull the water through or two pumps set up to do both?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there valves in the line that are closed/non return around the wrong way maybe?

Are your pump/pumps set up to push the water through/pull the water through or two pumps set up to do both?
Water is pushed through with the return pump. Through the red tube at the bottom, I can confirm that effluent is coming out of the top of the reactor through the blue tube.
IMG_0889.jpg

However it never makes it too the white tube.
IMG_0891.jpg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the problem is in the box where they join then. Does it contain a solenoid to control the feed of effluent or something else?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess it is some sort of electronic means of controlling your effluent. Check that your kh level is below the level your controller will allow effluent into the tank. If it's maximum level is set lower than your current kh level, that would explain why you have no flow through that box.

It would possibly only allow effluent flow when your kh is lower than it's maximum setting. If your kh is too high compared to your controller setting it may prevent effluent output to stop kh rising too high.

If your kh is currently higher than your controller maximum setting for kh, you could temporarily increase your maximum kh setting in the controller for a test.

REMBERING TO RESET THE MAXIMUM KH LEVEL AFTER TESTING.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is taking forever to mature. I can't even get basic SPS to grow. There plenty of nutrients, but Dinos every where. If I told you I was not thinking about live sand I would be lying.
On top of that I'm frustrated with the CalRX

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is taking forever to mature. I can't even get basic SPS to grow. There plenty of nutrients, but Dinos every where. If I told you I was not thinking about live sand I would be lying.
On top of that I'm frustrated with the CalRX

Large systems take longer to mature than small ones, there's no shortcut for that except a sand substrate. So have to way up your speed of set up against your end goals and decide what gets priority there.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large systems take longer to mature than small ones, there's no shortcut for that except a sand substrate. So have to way up your speed of set up against your end goals and decide what gets priority there.
I really wanted tampa bay live sand, however, they were not selling it at the time (Still arn't ) thus the reason I went bare bottom. However, strange turn of events, the wife doesn't want sand in the tank, and wants me to stay the coarse. So I have been thinking about getting more live rock. However, the last batch came in mostly dead, and I'm worired they may happen again with all heat here in Texas right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aright, PO4 is at .08, and Nitrates are at 5. I'm going to try and raise them above 10. Diatoms are still covering the tank. ALK was at 7.6 the other day with dosing Kalk, so I raised the dose, and I'm at 7.9.
I mailed back the control modules for the calcium reactor. I'm hoping I get a replacement sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is certainly not supporting coral very well, every coral I put in there just dies. So I'm going to hold off on adding more until I see a lot more coralline algae. I'm also going to add some sand to the sump. (Not the tank), that way if I want I can easily remove it later.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, following along as I just ordered the same size tank from Planet with a different configuration. I was also looking at the same sump, so would you suggest I look the other way?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, following along as I just ordered the same size tank from Planet with a different configuration. I was also looking at the same sump, so would you suggest I look the other way?
The sump is really good quality, and very well built. My only problem was it was late, and the wrong color scheme which I guess in the grand scheme of things is really not that big of a deal. Just order it long before you need it, and keep on top of them, call them on a regular basis. You will also love the tank, Planet does a really good job on thier tanks. I would recomend having the store you bought it from bring it and set it up. They are really heavy and you don't want to be responsible for it breaking.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is really good quality, and very well built. My only problem was it was late, and the wrong color scheme which I guess in the grand scheme of things is really not that big of a deal. Just order it long before you need it, and keep on top of them, call them on a regular basis. You will also love the tank, Planet does a really good job on thier tanks. I would recomend having the store you bought it from bring it and set it up. They are really heavy and you don't want to be responsible for it breaking.

Thanks for the feedback! This will be my third Planet tank, new tank will be replacing my Planet 210.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since i've visited your build thread.
I see you have gone through your fair share of challenges.

Keep at it.

I've never used a calRx. I wish i could help you get it running properly but I have no idea how.
I know you will get everything sorted out.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the sand I ordered came in today. I also ordered and administered my first dose of Live rock enhance. I have not quite decided how I'm going to add the sand to the system, but I will work on that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back