Maxi doser makes ratcheting noise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA

I plugged in my new Maxi doser and pressed the buttons to test run the pumps. It made an evil ratchet noise. Of course I let go the button and tried again a couple times and finally the pump moved and worked. The other side did the same. I shut it off and tried again a day or two later and it ratcheted again then smoothed out after starting and stopping it.

Is this common with the Maxi doser and it just needs to break in?

Edit

I popped off the heads and pushed the hose into the wheel tracks. The hose on both heads was out of track. Hit the buttons for the pumps and no ratcheting noise. Maybe the hoses where binding up the heads.

Any chance some gears got messed up because the hoses might have been binding?

Last edited:

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA

I plugged in my new Maxi doser and pressed the buttons to test run the pumps. It made an evil ratchet noise. Of course I let go the button and tried again a couple times and finally the pump moved and worked. The other side did the same. I shut it off and tried again a day or two later and it ratcheted again then smoothed out after starting and stopping it.

Is this common with the Maxi doser and it just needs to break in?

Edit

I popped off the heads and pushed the hose into the wheel tracks. The hose on both heads was out of track. Hit the buttons for the pumps and no ratcheting noise. Maybe the hoses where binding up the heads.

Any chance some gears got messed up because the hoses might have been binding?

With the tubing not being centered in the rollers, that would definitely cause the issue you encountered. The gears in those pump motors will be just fine. Those use very heavy duty motors and I’d expect the spline on the head would get damaged before the gears. And if the gears were damaged, you’d know it immediately.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to me with my New maxi, when I ran it at high speed it would make noise seize on the one side.

I popped of the head and noticed the tube moved also.

I reseated it and theN adjusted the speed down to two and let it run at speed two for a few days and theN placed it on speed 3 and have not had any issues.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks I’m a few weeks from getting this pump up and running to do the AWC on my system.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a video or similar showing hwo to remove the dosing heads from the unit? Must check mine as 1 is definetly making the noise (so I may as well check both), recalibrate and start again.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just pinch the sides and the cover will pop off. Lower the speed and try it at 0 or 1. Mine ratcheted at 2 and 3. What I did was run slower speeds and after the tubing wore in I was able to speed up the pump to 3.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back