Maxima Clam - HELP!

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My maxima clam is spawning, which happens from time to time. But THIS time I have cleaner shrimp and they were harassing poor Charlie (said clam) while he was spawning. Like trying to crawl in while he spawned. Then I noticed a couple of nassarius coming around. So, I panicked and put the clam in an enclosure to allow him to spawn in peace. I am worried he is dying! My parameters are solid:
Ph at 8.0
Nitrates at 2
Magnesium at 1350
Calcium at 400
SG at 1.0245

Nothing, and I mean nothing new has happened in the tank in the last 3-5 months. Maintenance is regular. I can't think what could be wrong and I can't figure out what more I can do if he is in fact dying. Any help is appreciated. Pictures attached

20230120_195738.jpg 20230120_195743.jpg 20230120_183606.jpg 20230120_183609.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN
I’m on my tiny phone and I’m not sure if there is any real new growth shown on the shell, or not? How long have you had Charlie?
Do you know what Par your lights are feeding him?
Let’s see what the experienced guys see in the picture.

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN
I’m on my tiny phone and I’m not sure if there is any real new growth shown on the shell, or not? How long have you had Charlie?
Do you know what Par your lights are feeding him?
Let’s see what the experienced guys see in the picture.
Hi! There is new growth and we have had Charlie for 5 years. I do not know what par the lights are feeding him. Thank you!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are growth. IMO There got to be some changes in the tank condition or else it would not stressed and spawn. If you can find this you will get the cause for you clam stress. Good luck with him.
in my spawn events which were very rare, all my clam will look normal the next day. One clam would spawn which cause the rest to spawn and this result in huge problem and water changes for me.

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I am scratching my head on what could have changed. I only have the one clam and it doesn't spawn often. When it does, it always bounces back the next day also. I have reviewed my historical parameters and there is nothing of note.

However, I never had cleaner shrimp when it spawned before and I wonder if that is contributing to the clams stress.

I hope this clam makes it. We have been through a lot together over the years, ostreopsis dinos, swings in SG due to a broken hygrometer, low calcium, low mag, all sorts of things. I have always been shocked at his hardiness. But for the last 8 months, everything has been stable, running like a well oiled machine. Maybe something annoyed it into spawning. That is all I can figure, other than maybe my nitrates are too low. They are at 2. That MIGHT be it. I am going to increase the feeding schedule.

I will do a water change today just to help water quality after the spawn. I am hoping he bounces back and I am just over reacting.

Thanks again!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I am scratching my head on what could have changed. I only have the one clam and it doesn't spawn often. When it does, it always bounces back the next day also. I have reviewed my historical parameters and there is nothing of note.

However, I never had cleaner shrimp when it spawned before and I wonder if that is contributing to the clams stress.

I hope this clam makes it. We have been through a lot together over the years, ostreopsis dinos, swings in SG due to a broken hygrometer, low calcium, low mag, all sorts of things. I have always been shocked at his hardiness. But for the last 8 months, everything has been stable, running like a well oiled machine. Maybe something annoyed it into spawning. That is all I can figure, other than maybe my nitrates are too low. They are at 2. That MIGHT be it. I am going to increase the feeding schedule.

I will do a water change today just to help water quality after the spawn. I am hoping he bounces back and I am just over reacting.

Thanks again!
Well that sounds pretty good, all around.
" 5 more years Charlie! "

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Charlie the Clam is still with us! And as a bonus, he ate today and attached his foot to the dish I have him sitting on in his "safety enclosure". All good things I think.

He is not back to his old self yet, I think that will take a few days, but it seems as though he is much happier than he was yesterday. The cleaner shrimp really aggravated his excurrent siphon, so hopefully some solitude helps him mend.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to help!

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update:

Sadly, Charlie the Clam succumbed to whatever was ailing him and is now clamming around in that great ocean in the sky. I am sad, but part of him will always be with us by way of his beautiful shell, which will remain in the tank as a safe haven for whatever critter decides to take refuge in it. Such is life, that it eventually ends, though I do wish I could have saved him.

I know that my tank can support a clam, after all, it did for 5 years, so he will not be the last clam in that tank.

Thank you all for your advice, it really helped me.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back