Maxima clam not fully extending

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this clam locally from a fellow reefer and for the first week, it seemed to do well. Mantel fully extended and still very much attached to the rock where it's always been.
IMG_1470.jpg

Last few days, I've noticed the mantle has retracted. No gaping and still responds to fish swimming over it. I've seen snails and crabs eat algae off of the shell but haven't observed any fishes (I have a lot of wrasses) pick at it.

Water parameters have been consistent.
Alk: 8.4
Calc: 445
Nitrate: 2.5 - 5ppm
Ammonia: 0

The only change I did was that I added a 6th T5 Bulb. Previously I took one out to allow it and some other corals to acclimate. After that first week, I added the 6th bulb.

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been extending less? It's not uncommon for them to do this for a day or two, especially as a reaction to a change such as adding more light, but doing so over a period of days is usually the first sign of trouble.

OP
OP
S

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run GFO. I was running carbon but pulled it out yesterday. Don't know the PAR but the clam sits about 12" from surface under the T5s

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep running carbon, it helps with things like PMD in clams. Not sure that there is much to be done beyond that at this point, other than checking to see if anybody is harrassing it. Blennies are the usual suspect here, as well as any other fish that is reef safe with caution because they like to nip fleshy things. I don't see any signs of mantle damage, but it's hard to get much from the one picture.

Maxima's are high light clams, so the SPS-level lighting you have it in should not be a problem for it. It looks like it was working on a new shell layer, so it seems like it was doing okay.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow is it in? Did you change the flow pattern? They don't like high flow.

OP
OP
S

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clam is doing better. Just took some time to adjust. I don't feed. I've adjusted my MP40 not to point directly on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread. This clam's mantle continue not to extend fully. I also noticed the inner portions of the mantle is a bit bleached. Not a great picture, but maybe you can see it. I'm also seeing no growth on the shell.

IMG_1740.jpg

This is different than another maxima I have with fully extended mantle and growth on shell.

IMG_1741.jpg

I have been running carbon and the clams are under T5's about 12 in from the top. Water parameters check out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back