OP
OP
F

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a used 1k from a member here about a month ago, so I've no comments about its future reliability. So far it's been running silently (40% power, though). My retired MP10 QD always had a low hum when ramped.

In term of gyre maintenance, some people suggest not to disassemble it. Just let it run in citric acid solution for a while. And that's what I'll do.
Literary just tried this last night. Doesn’t work. Hard to run a pump when their manufacturing is trash. I pulled one apart and can clearly see that the magnet rubbed against the side to the point where it created a plastic lip that would rub against the magnet and stop it. Even after scraping the lip off it still doesn’t run. Both side a and b randomly turn off and then on again. There aren’t many products that I will spend so much time trashing, bit these definitely deserve it. I hope I can sell this garbage locally so I’m not out like two grand or whatever overpriced amount they are selling them for. TRASH!!!!!!

OP
OP
F

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 4 of the 250's for over 3 years now. Initially I hated the maintenance to the point I stopped following the recommended cleaning instructions. That is when I switched from only loving the flow to loving the pumps too. I went over 18 months without taking any of the 4 apart.
The metal cannister they shipped in makes a great cleaning container. I use a food saver vacuum bag sealed on one end as a liner in the can and fill it with vinegar. Disconnect power to the pump and put the pump in the bag of vinegar. My set up allows me to put the can close enough to the pump that I don't have to do anything with the motor cord. 2 to 4 hours later I take the pump out, let it drain, and put it back in my aquarium. Actual labor time is well under 5 minutes per pump and by not taking them apart every month I greatly increased bushing life.
I finally did have to replace a bunch of the bushings and a few impellers in the last 2 or 3 months. They came with a complete spare set for each pump so no issues there. I'll be thrilled to get another 3 years out of the new ones but, if not, you can buy new bushings from Amazon for $10 and 2 day shipping. A set of replacement impellers is $35.
The fact that they come with extra/spare pumps should be an indication that they realize the product is not designed well and they are expecting them to fail.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the cheap Jebao gyres….
Four years later, still running.
I also have 2 of the Jeb's one on each side of my 75. I can go 4-6 months without cleaning them, do not notice any loss of power when dirty. Only going on 8 months though.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to soak one of my maxspects motors in 45% vinegar over night. It was totally seized next day it worked good just always been a little loud. Its almost like they have too tight of tolerances or something. I do believe there overpriced and you don't get what you pay for.

And not 45% vinegar 55% water the super strong 45% vinegar not like typical 5% vinegar from the grocery store. The hard to get stuff lol.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the 1st generation ones when they came out, I do think they made quite a few improvements like with wider fins for less cleaning but I wouldn’t get them again even with some improvements as they were awesome for flow for sort time, then a nightmare to clean and soaking alone didn’t work for me, had to disassemble each time. It was a real chore. I run tunze and Nero now.

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2, warrantied one because of stray voltage. Couple months later the second motor died but was out of warranty so I bought a replacement motor. I clean them everyone other month and sometimes one of them just won't work for awhile. Very annoying.

2/5 overall, would not recommend them based on the 2 I've had for 2 years considering the price.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced mine with reefwave 45’s, they are nothing great with a controller failing after 3 days but stay on 3/4 glass and MUCH quieter, no issues since. Would be nice if Maxspect got it together.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issues I had with my 350s were the flow directors would fall off, after a few months I had enough of it and contacted coral vue. They sent me replacements free of charge. I go 4-6 months before cleaning. I really like how I can make my own flow patterns. I’ve never seen a more adjustable pump. I use the ivc6 to customize the flow, not the provided controller. I’ve had them since February 2020

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that they come with extra/spare pumps should be an indication that they realize the product is not designed well and they are expecting them to fail.
Spare pumps? He said a complete set for each pump.
The spare pumps cost money and if allowing the customer to buy parts is bad then tell my momma your boy is a rebel!

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to soak one of my maxspects motors in 45% vinegar over night. It was totally seized next day it worked good just always been a little loud. Its almost like they have too tight of tolerances or something. I do believe there overpriced and you don't get what you pay for.

And not 45% vinegar 55% water the super strong 45% vinegar not like typical 5% vinegar from the grocery store. The hard to get stuff lol.
Didn't anyone tell you that vinegar is the pump killer? It causes the impeller magnet to swell hence why it seized. Use citric acid instead.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that rotates and uses bushings will fail over time. If I need to by a $5 rebuild kit every 2 years I won't complain in the least.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that rotates and uses bushings will fail over time. If I need to by a $5 rebuild kit every 2 years I won't complain in the least.
thats true, but the gyres seem to fail far sooner than 2 years. I've replaced both within the year, and i baby them, cleaned in citric acid and all. While my cheap Jebao return pump has been running for 3 years continuously, at this point im curious how long it will run before it craps out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look through the reviews on bulk reef supply. Many bad reviews. The positive ones are probably just from people that just got them. When you first set them up they are awesome. They just nosedive hard after a short time. Maybe it's just me, but don't want to be spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on new powerheads every year or two.
I have had 2 F350's running since they first came out. I have never cleaned them, and have never had a problem. I DID have a similar problem with the F2 version - and always had excellent customer service. One issue is if you use the incorrect solution for cleaning - the cleaning will cause more problems. I part of your problem may be 'user error'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are more negative comments about gyre than positives so far. Trash might be overstatement but Gyres are not what it seemed originally. I am happy I ditched it rather than trying to make it work. Happy camper without it.

sam
In a thread complaining about something - its pretty common to have more complaints. You can look at threads stating MP40's are 'horrible' and Echotech is 'horrible'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Literary just tried this last night. Doesn’t work. Hard to run a pump when their manufacturing is trash. I pulled one apart and can clearly see that the magnet rubbed against the side to the point where it created a plastic lip that would rub against the magnet and stop it. Even after scraping the lip off it still doesn’t run. Both side a and b randomly turn off and then on again. There aren’t many products that I will spend so much time trashing, bit these definitely deserve it. I hope I can sell this garbage locally so I’m not out like two grand or whatever overpriced amount they are selling them for. TRASH!!!!!!
Curious - which model do you have?

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just though I'd chime in to say that the RedSea ReefWave 25 I've been using for a few months is fantastic. Super quite and great flow. I'll confess, I haven't even cleaned it yet... It's been at least 3-4 months.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats true, but the gyres seem to fail far sooner than 2 years. I've replaced both within the year, and i baby them, cleaned in citric acid and all. While my cheap Jebao return pump has been running for 3 years continuously, at this point im curious how long it will run before it craps out.
Most of the people I know of who have problems take them apart when they clean them. It's a pain and I am convinced it causes premature failure. I do nothing other than a 2 to 4 hour soak in vinegar every month or two.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just though I'd chime in to say that the RedSea ReefWave 25 I've been using for a few months is fantastic. Super quite and great flow. I'll confess, I haven't even cleaned it yet... It's been at least 3-4 months.
I thought about getting ReefWave 45 but they are weaker than Maxspect XF350 so I rather have more power.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back