Maxspect Nano-Tech Clear Cube

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 cubes in 200 litres and in a week the water became crystal like never before. We'll see with the phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 cubes in 200 litres and in a week the water became crystal like never before. We'll see with the phosphates.

Well, I have to say that i am extremely skeptical of this cause and effect claim.

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote only what I saw, the transparency has increased significantly. The difference is enormous, and I always keep carbon in the sump

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote only what I saw, the transparency has increased significantly. The difference is enormous, and I always keep carbon in the sump

When was the last time you replaced the carbon?

One should always be very skeptical about miracle products that have been around a long time and end up not being commonly used.

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace the carbon every 3 weeks. I don't believe in miraculous products. I am neither enthusiastic nor skeptical; I simply observe.

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace the carbon every 3 weeks. I don't believe in miraculous products. I am neither enthusiastic nor skeptical; I simply observe.
As Randy Holmes-Farley says you should use them without the activated carbon to see how well they work since the carbon already tends to clarify the water

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy Holmes-Farley says you should use them without the activated carbon to see how well they work since the carbon already tends to clarify the water
Hi Graziano,
If the water has become cristal with the carbon in sump, it means that the cubes cleaninig better, I think.
I don't say that the cubes improve the tank, but the water is clearer.
This is true!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Graziano,
If the water has become cristal with the carbon in sump, it means that the cubes cleaninig better, I think.
I don't say that the cubes improve the tank, but the water is clearer.
This is true!

Or, you must admit, the water was clearer for other reasons that you are not aware of.

It just stretches credulity, IMO, that tourmaline clears water better than activated carbon.

If it did, it would be widely used in lots of different industries. But it isn’t, activated carbon is, and tourmaline is largely relegated to stores selling healing crystals and New Age music.

graziano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only counter test is to remove the activated carbon and see if the clarity of the water remains

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you replaced the carbon?

One should always be very skeptical about miracle products that have been around a long time and end up not being commonly used.
As I have written in my post #15 a year ago these bricks definitely have some impact on water clarity. I did a side by side test to prove this.
Are they more efficient than carbon? This i don't know. I would need a photometer to check that, which I don't own.
There is a lot of bullsht written on the maxspect package, probably because they don't understand tourmaline chemistry either. I don't too but the scientific papers on the effects of tourmaline nanoparticles are solid.

Now the question is of course: are there actually tourmaline nanoparticles inside of the maxspect blocks? Chinese companies are faking everything so I'm suspicious. As I have written in my other post, this could also just be zeolite which is cheaper and has similar effects on water clarity.

Last edited:

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is of course: are there actually tourmaline nanoparticles inside of the maxspect blocks? Chinese companies are faking everything so I'm suspicious. As I have written in my other post, this could also just be zeolite which is cheaper and has similar effects on water clarity.
I agree

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple cubes in my 25gal lagoon... One in each media basket. I changed nothing else and my eye test certainly shows me less yellowness and more clarity in the water when looking end to end through the tank.

Got from BRS for like half off... 8 small cubes (which i only use two at a time) that they suggest to replace yearly. Worth the price of entry thus far.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some when they 1st were offered and didn’t notice any changes either way in my system. I still need to run carbon to get the water crystal clear.
I tried it again for fun. Same result. Didn’t work for my system.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back