Maxspect Recurve - settings

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
I wanted to see if any one here may be using the New! Maxspect Recurve. I have the 4ft version arriving tonight, and was planning on installing on my 4’x20”x24” DT

Wanted to hear what others are doing with intensity settings on the 6 or so different channels to start.

My tank is primarily SPS and Zoas up Top and LPS lower, and low lights stuff on the sand.

675410726a95e59b824e185c69a4d68a.jpg

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also using the mounting legs initially until I figure a better hanging arrangement.

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lights so far. Lots of corals coloring up nicely that have been drab or light for a long time. Coming from black box these are a huge upgrade. I was a little too cautious on settings when starting up, as the intensity of the black boxes was a little insane. The base settings for SPS is making my tank very happy. Most of my rocks start a 12” deep. I tweaked the settings for evening viewing. I’m planning on posting some more details in a couple weeks with a longer track record.
88b448d807092685fb89d967adc13d9d.jpg

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am using the standard mounting legs. They are pretty convenient. Sliding forward and back to access tank is nice. Splashing is not too bad in my tank. I am wiping the bottom surface of the lights with a moist paper towel to prevent salt build up, but I did the same with my old lights, during water changes.

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have settings that they would be willing to share (or happen to have come across any PAR readings)?

I have had the Recurve 90 on my 40 Gal breeder (SPS) for about two weeks now. So far, I like the light. The fixture is almost as wide as the tank, so I have the side "arms" bent down a bit to minimize light spill out.

I previously had the Maxspect Razor r420r 16k 160 watt w/ wide angle lenses. It had "hot spots", even w/ the white channel only maxing out at 50%. It didn't bleach my SPS, they would grow fine, but it tended to lighten and wash-out their colors if they were toward the top of the tank.

I've probably been overly conservative with the settings since I still don't have a good feel for how the light's intensity across the six channels equates to the amount of light the tank was used to getting.

Here are my current peak settings. I just got a bunch of new frags, and everything in the tank seems happy so far, but I can't escape the feeling that there's a better channel setting mix + opportunity to bump up the %s by at least another 10-15%.

RecurveSettings.jpg

OP
OP
B

BuckT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep ramping up the whites a little. I started real conservative like you are now, and had some unhappy SPS. Once I increased, everything took off. Colored up. Tank is very happy and light balanced.

IMG_0154.JPG
Current settings.

Most of my corals start around 12” deep.

Jordan berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at buying the 48” model for my 90 gallon reef tank. Is there any par readings besides the ones maxspect supplies at 24” above the tank? I am looking more for spread than anything as it seems most of the lights are able to grow corals but, 2 XR30 pros are probably the better way to go for even light distribution. If these are close to that I would love to support maxspect. I am coming from 2 black boxes that have crazy bright spots I want to get rid of.

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the 4' Recurve light as well, mounted on the legs that came with it. It's been on the tank now for a couple of months. The majority of my corals are LPS with a few encrusting SPS, one birds nest, zoas and acans. I've been running my lights on the LPS setting and everything looks great. I've lost a couple of chalices but that is more than likely due to water fluctuation. I'm still pretty new to all this obsession.

Primetastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB015C94-670C-454E-A86E-537B55F13C72.jpeg
Just mounted he 060 recurve 24” on my max e 170 using the mounting legs provided. The fixture is replacing a Giesemann aurora T5 led hybrid light. So far I am loving the color rendition. Have a sps/lps mix with most of the sps in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I have an appogee par meter that I plan to use here in the next few days to check on par.
The warm white LEDs are a huge improvement over the classic cool whites that dominated my aurora led cluster.

jeracom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am from Germany and owner of Maxspect recurve 240W.
I would be interested in your experiences. Some have this lamp already longer.

I do not like it all that blue and I have chosen the SPS program, and adapted a little bit.

Here are my settings, I hope that works out.

Greetings, Jens

Aktuelle einstellung Maxspeckt.jpg

ReefOn55thDubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Maxspect Recurve 120 cm/320 W installed on a 140 cm tank. The Waterbox 170 Gallon. This is a very new setup, so most corals are still just frags.
PAR readings done with lights on the SPS-setting and using a Seneye.
As the readings show - plenty of light even at 30 cm depth, and I might need to tone it down when the corals grow towards the light, but for now the distribution is good. Even on the sand we are at almost 200.
Only problem is that the lights 4 main LED clusters are not distributed for use as wide as a 140 cm tank, so there is a severe falloff on the sides.
Did one reading at 12 cm in the center at almost 500 PAR. Still doesn't match the 890 PAR i measured in my refuge, under a Kessil H380.
PAR Readings.jpg

ReefOn55thDubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light settings including a dual moonlight phase, and 3 hours of full dark. Ramp up to some serious light from 13-16 and still high par from 11-19. 19:30-23 is blue lights.
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the 48" 300w for my 120 48x24x24 tank. Do you guys still like your light? I am deciding between this and the Razor. Thanks

ReefOn55thDubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tests you can find says it’s a major upgrade of the razor.
Make sure to buy the ICV6 unit too, for WiFi control and precise programming.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one reading at 12 cm in the center at almost 500 PAR. Still doesn't match the 890 PAR i measured in my refuge, under a Kessil H380.
PAR Readings.jpg

I dont know why that has any effect. Why would you need 890 PAR for any coral? Even 500 PAR is too much.

More PAR doesn't always mean its better. There is a bell shaped curve where too much PAR is bad. According to your PAR, even the Maxspect has too much PAR. Was that at even full 100% power?

ReefOn55thDubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need for that much on the corals, even though I have read that some reefers go near 500 range over time. On the other hand there is need for that high PAR at 12 if you want the readings at 24 inches to be 225-250.
I have a Milli right at that spot, and it sure does not complain right now where it is tuned down to 430. It colored up much better.

The 890 in Fuge is too high in your opinion maybe (and I agree), but my Chaeto begs to differ. Only problem is if it gets stuck or the water flow doesn’t keep it moving, then it whitens out a small portion, but it recovers again during the “night time” and/or the flow gets it moving again.

Last edited:

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefpm55thDubai:

When you took the PAR tests in your first post, what were the light settings in each of the channels to get those PAR values?
Thanks for your help. I also purchased a maxspect recurve 4ft (120 cm) on a 120 cm long tank (RedSea Reefer 350) and need some recommended settings from fellow hobbyists

Back