Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24 hours I can definitively state that one Maxspect Gyre vastly outperforms 2 MP40's (run near full blast) + 2 Hydor Koralia Evo 1150's + 1 Tunze Comline Wavebox in a 5x2x2 system. I know that one day is a small sample size and I've yet to see long term results, but the amount of water that is being moved is incredible. This could potentially prove to be the best value in the hobby right now.

jester17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mount the pump with the logo right side up or upside down? Out of the box the wire was bent to where it looked like it was mounted with the logo upside down

jester17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mount the pump with the logo right side up or upside down? Out of the box the wire was bent to where it looked like it was mounted with the logo upside down

Maxspect says logo up

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got mine! It was a long wait, seemed like forever.

Opening the box I was pleased to see that it comes in a tin. Makes it seem like they really care about their product lol. But everything was there and I liked that it came with spare parts (the manual says they are for switching out either side if you want to change the flow for some reason).

I have a 300 gallon Deep Dimension tank (6'x3'x27"high) and the one thing I was worried about was if it would move the entire three foot length, and it does. I even have the pump slight more towards the back (on one side) and the plate corals still show ample movement at the very front of the tank.

I purchased two of these and while one probably really would move sufficient water for my tank, I'm glad I went with two. I'm working on setting them in alternating gyres, reverse of each other. When one is pumping in normal mode, the other is pumping in reverse, which I hope reinforces the gyre. I like this idea because it means I don't have to blast the pumps in regular mode at full power. While I think the pump can handle full power, I don't want to worry about corals being blasted by the laser stream of water.

I have ran into the issue when one of my pumps tries to reverse, it stops completely and the light blinks red. I read on a post that until they are broken in, they should be run over 40% speed until bacteria helps with making things work better. The one problem though is that after reading that, I bumped up reverse mode to 60% and I still get the blinking red light when it tries to reverse.

On a side note, since the one pump isn't working right (it doesn't wait the whole 5 minutes when its blinking red. Blinks red for a minute or two and then reboots) I saw when both pumps were pumping in normal mode and it created to mini gyres in my tank right in the middle. I thought that was kind of cool.

I will keep checking on the blinking light thing but if its not fixed by the end of today, I'll contact support.

Even with that problem, I love these pumps! Way better than vortech imo. The only thing I wish for now was a way to control them through my apex. But I can fully say, if you are going to go with an expensive pump, either this or a vortech, go with the riptide.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running in constant flow? I went to 50% in pulse mode at 3 sec pulses when it doesnt pulse at set pwr its still flowing water so you have a constant flow.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running in constant flow? I went to 50% in pulse mode at 3 sec pulses when it doesnt pulse at set pwr its still flowing water so you have a constant flow.

I didn't have any problem in constant flow mode. It was in alternating gyre mode that I had the blinking light problem.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change impellers? I tried that and i also had probs. with the way it comes i got alt gyre to work but was not impressed like no flow they say creates turbulence but only close to pump. I like the pulse mode.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change impellers? I tried that and i also had probs. with the way it comes i got alt gyre to work but was not impressed like no flow they say creates turbulence but only close to pump. I like the pulse mode.

I didn't change impellers when I tried it. The reason I want reverse gyre is to try to help reinforce the regular gyre from the other one on the other size. I have them set to go off alternately. Can't way for when(if) I'll be able to set this using my apex. Will be much better than standing next to the tank with a timer lol.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine tonight and am very pleased.

I am replacing two Jebao RW-15s on a 120 with dual overflows on the back back (not corner). Not sure where I like it placed yet. I am afraid if I put it on either end, there will be a dead spot on the far side of the overflows. The ideal spot would be the back wall, centered between the two overflows, as it would be nearly invisible there.

Thoughts?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wgats the lowest speed you can set it? I'm thinking of buying it for my 25 gallon.

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cory it's way too much flow for a 25gal. I have mine running at 30% on a 90gal and that's bout as high as I can run it.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's too bad, I already ordered one! I heard you can take off one rotor and it can go down to 10%. And if I run it in short pulses it may be ok. What do you think?

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still tinkering with it so I'm not too sure. This weekend I'll have more time to adjust everything. I have a mixed reef and more than 30% would bother some of my corals. My sps don't mind it but my girlfriend likes the "flowy things" so I have to keep LPS mixed in to keep her happy. I definitely have to do some moving around with some corals that are getting a bit too much flow. Having it running horizontally the only place I have some lighter flow is the section under the riptide. All my corals on the sand bed are getting insane flow to about 3/4 of the way back to the riptide. It's incredible how much water movement there is.

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416531242.861435.jpg
I have my rock work set in two islands one island on the left and one on the right. That's behind my rock work in the center of my tank almost on the sand bed and still getting blasted.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in my 8' long 300 gal for 4 days. Started it at 20% for the first couple and the last couple of days I've gone to 30% and now 40%. It moves all the water in the tank. I've turned off my two MP60's just to see where we are.

I haven't tried pulse or reverse yet. I'll play with that this weekend. No issues so far and I love it. The fish float with current halfway across the tank and then swim back... kind of like a fish treadmill! :)

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 24+ hours I can concur with others that thing thing quiets down significantly with time. I am running it in constant mode during the break in, but plan to use it in pulse mode once it breaks in.

I replaced to Jebao RW-15s with on Gyre on my 4' 120. I still have my MP-10 on the back wall, mostly because I have the battery back up for power outages.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know if anyone else is have the same/or similar issue as me. I started to say a "problem" but it's really not that at all, instead it might attest to how amazing this product is. I converted over to the Gyre exactly one week ago. Since using it, I have found it nearly impossible to keep my alkalinity levels sufficient, even with increased dosing. In fact, I have almost doubled the dosing amount in this time and I still keep getting <7 readings. I have increased calcium dosing as well obviously. Many of my acropora colonies (especially those in the lower half of the tank) have had a noticeable growth spurt. It might go without saying, but my theory is that the increase in overall flow (from 2 MP40's and 2 Koriala's) has been so dramatic that it has potentially nearly doubled the growth rate (and therefore element consumption) of my SPS corals. I wish I had taken before pictures of each acro/monti and a FTS for sakes of comparison, but I was not expecting this dramatic of an experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know if anyone else is have the same/or similar issue as me. I started to say a "problem" but it's really not that at all, instead it might attest to how amazing this product is. I converted over to the Gyre exactly two weeks ago. Since using it, I have found it nearly impossible to keep my alkalinity levels sufficient, even with increased dosing. In fact, I have almost doubled the dosing amount in this time and I still keep getting <7 readings. I have increased calcium dosing as well obviously. Many of my acropora colonies (especially those in the lower half of the tank) have had a noticeable growth spurt. It might go without saying, but my theory is that the increase in overall flow (from 2 MP40's and 2 Koriala's) has been so dramatic that it has potentially nearly doubled the growth rate (and therefore element consumption) of my SPS corals. I wish I had taken before pictures of each acro/monti and a FTS for sakes of comparison, but I was not expecting this dramatic of an experience.

It's amazing what having the right flow can do! I believe the corals are able to more easily expel waste and capture food. Additionally, it's been proven that corals are able to better thrive in high-light environments when there is additional flow, resulting in improved growth. This sounds like what you might be experiencing.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I got te xf150 gyre and its not too much flow on my 25 gallon! At 10% speed it's perfect! But if you had a sand bed it would be too much. With my bare bottom 25 there is so much detritus floating around that it's hard to believe it.

What's amazing is even at high speed its a gentle but powerful flow.

I had an issue at first where pulse mode wouldn't work, I then unplugged it and plugged it back in and it works great. With pulse mode I can create a "wave box" type of wave. I used to have the Tunze wave box before and it makes the same effect.

I hate to say it but this pump will cause other brands to lose a lot of business.

Can't wait for the advanced controller!

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that is pump has real value simply because it can be used from 25 gallons all the way to 800 gallons. If I upgrade my tank to a bigger one, this pump should work well in it too. Very satisfied.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back