Maze coral

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... Wondering what everyone does with their maze coral frags? Does everyone just place them in their sand bed and call it a day? I have three or four Different colors and I wanted to figure out something creative to do where they are all together but interesting. I mean they are not really the type of coral most people would try to do something with that is new or different but was curious if anyone has bothered to try it?

OP
OP
JJ Ligs

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... Wondering what everyone does with their maze coral frags? Does everyone just place them in their sand bed and call it a day? I have three or four Different colors and I wanted to figure out something creative to do where they are all together but interesting. I mean they are not really the type of coral most people would try to do something with that is new or different but was curious if anyone has bothered to try it?
Thanks in advance!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large platygyra maze brain coral that started the size of a quarter on a frag disc. I kept it on the disc on the sandbed and as it outgrew the frag disc I would place it on a larger one until it outgrew it. Mine is now about the diameter of a softball and about to outgrow the plate I have it on. I notice the edges seem to get sand stuck to it. I'm not sure if it irritates the coral or not, but in general I try to keep in on the plate as opposed to sitting directly on the sandbed.

One other thing to keep in mind, is these things have crazy sweeper tentacles. Mine puts out sweepers that are 6"+ and pack a pretty good sting. It's killed a small ricordea mushroom and damaged my bubble coral and nearby zoanthids. So you definitely want to make sure they have plenty of space around them to prevent coral warfare.

Here it is on the original frag disc back in February 2019.
0216191912a.jpg

Here it is at the end of April 2020.
0425202126.jpg

OP
OP
JJ Ligs

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I keep them up on plates to keep the sand away as well. I just didn’t know if anyone did anything creative and funky with them to add to the scape. I have to say yours is beautiful and super symmetrical Which I never see

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It certainly wasn't always that symmetrical it actually had a battle with a torch coral frag that my pincushion urchin dropped on him one night. It made part of the brain recede back to the skeleton, but it has since recovered and filled out to be quite symmetrical. It's a slow grower, but definitely one of my favorite corals in the tank.

OP
OP
JJ Ligs

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see why he is, he is very pretty. Have you had multiples close to each other I have four in a cluster and they do not seem to fight but was wondering if anyone has seen them go at each other?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the one brain coral, so I'm not sure if they'll fight with each other. If they're like other corals thoguh, I'd venture to guess they won't fight with each other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back