OP
OP
P

Pthornhhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking again closer at the other photo, seems more like MDF. Not how plywood would shear (too rough surface).

7BrApYy.jpg
I picked at this one with a knife

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking again closer at the other photo, seems more like MDF. Not how plywood would shear (too rough surface).

7BrApYy.jpg

My thoughts as well, now I won't say it's not some type of extremely low quality Plywood available in China. But certainly doesn't look like any plywood I've ever seen...

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would really make me question the integrity of their company if in fact it is discovered it is not plywood and they advertise their stands are made of all plywood

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked at this one with a knife

Right before the 1:00 mark on this video they start to talk about not using mdf but only "high quality plywood". He goes on to to say it's not like alot of the other cheap cabinets on the market that use mdf.

We really need to know if this is in fact "high quality plywood" or something else.

Where on the cabinet is the hole you made Pthornhhi?

I did alot of research before purchasing the WB, and I'm really hoping that the specs are accurate. I can't say much bc mine is not yet in front of me but the pics posted look concerning.

OP
OP
P

Pthornhhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right before the 1:00 mark on this video they start to talk about not using mdf but only "high quality plywood". He goes on to to say it's not like alot of the other cheap cabinets on the market that use mdf.

We really need to know if this is in fact "high quality plywood" or something else.

Where on the cabinet is the hole you made Pthornhhi?

I did alot of research before purchasing the WB, and I'm really hoping that the specs are accurate. I can't say much bc mine is not yet in front of me but the pics posted look concerning.
1585342543358.jpeg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done lots of cabinets over the years and that is MDF full stop.

First of all I am assuming the Waterbox cabinets and tanks are produced in China. It is an exact copy of many other private label tanks sold around the world. I have quotes from the various manufactures from several years ago as I was looking at the new rage of rimless aquariums. The Optiwhite glass is produced in China not America. Starphire glass is produced in America and is much more expensive. There is a huge difference in cost right there!

It would be hard for Waterbox to prevent the Chinese factory from substituting inferior materials like MDF unless they spot checked each shipment. This is another reason everybody should produce what they sell in this country and stop offshoring products and technology. The Chinese are famous for selling branded product out the back door built to your companies specs since they will not honor international patient rights. They are also famous for substituting lower quality materials if they can get away with it. It was only a few years ago they were putting melamine in their infant formula milk mixes and several deaths occurred. Then there was the scandal of tainted medicines sold in the US from China. You get what you pay for and it is time to build on this continent at least. By the time you ship, pay duties and customs clearance, handle the damaged freight, you could build it here for about the same cost. If you want to control quality you must do it in house under your own roof full stop.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we use plywood that is covered in 1mm of MDF.

Why do we do that? Well because it allows for better surfacing AND water proofing. So in reality while we call it plywood, it's much better than traditional plywood.

A peek into the future, we are considering going a step further and using superwood.

I assure you that there is no conspiracy here :)

-Rich
President - Co Founder

Wood Sample.jpg

THIS is what MDF Sheets looks like which IS NOT used on our cabinets.

asdlfj.jpg

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done lots of cabinets over the years and that is MDF full stop.

First of all I am assuming the Waterbox cabinets and tanks are produced in China. It is an exact copy of many other private label tanks sold around the world. I have quotes from the various manufactures from several years ago as I was looking at the new rage of rimless aquariums. The Optiwhite glass is produced in China not America. Starphire glass is produced in America and is much more expensive. There is a huge difference in cost right there!

Starphire glass is licensed to Fabricators around the world. It is not only produced in the USA.

-Rich

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an interior contractor and dealing with an assortment of wood, these shavings are definitely MDF. Another thought is this could be layered plywood wrapped in MDF to allow for adherence of white outer layer (edge banding)

Let’s begin with doing 2 things:
1.) Where the bracket is being installed, scrape out the MDF shavings and drill a 1/4” deeper. If it’s layered you would start to see natural wood shavings. Also, whatever you planned on mounting would cover those holes

2.) Remove the screws from the door hinges on one side of the cabinet. (Make sure it’s attached to the wood and not an adjustment screw) once that pops off you will see if it’s layered.

23A1F0FB-AA46-4DEE-BE3D-C2AE210264B9.jpeg

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an interior contractor and dealing with an assortment of wood, these shavings are definitely MDF. Another thought is this could be layered plywood wrapped in MDF to allow for adherence of white outer layer (edge banding)

Let’s begin with doing 2 things:
1.) Where the bracket is being installed, scrape out the MDF shavings and drill a 1/4” deeper. If it’s layered you would start to see natural wood shavings. Also, whatever you planned on mounting would cover those holes

2.) Remove the screws from the door hinges on one side of the cabinet. (Make sure it’s attached to the wood and not an adjustment screw) once that pops off you will see if it’s layered.

23A1F0FB-AA46-4DEE-BE3D-C2AE210264B9.jpeg

you can see my reply above :)

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess now I would like to see a pic with a hole a bit deeper (and possibly larger ?) to uncover the actual plywood. A 1mm layer is going to be slightly thicker than ¹/³²"(³/⁶⁴"actual). Those holes look deeper than that. I have no dog in this race, but am really curious to the issue at hand.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did say I assumed in my post so thanks to Waterbox for fixing my assumptions. That said, Starphire glass is much more expensive than Optiwhite and is less likely to be used in China based on quotes and discussion with the manufacturer community there. By the way I think both the Red Sea and Waterbox aquariums are beautiful. Just not a fan of Ikea style KD furniture for large saltwater tanks. I have years of experience of seeing how the product "ages" in use.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of fiber board. The kind that's used as the backing in cheap furniture (shelves, tv stands). Probably a little too late now that the stand is assembled but you can probably confirm if it's really plywood by checking the holes for those locking fastners.

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we use plywood that is covered in 1mm of MDF.

Why do we do that? Well because it allows for better surfacing AND water proofing. So in reality while we call it plywood, it's much better than traditional plywood.

A peek into the future, we are considering going a step further and using superwood.

I assure you that there is no conspiracy here :)

-Rich
President - Co Founder

Wood Sample.jpg

THIS is what MDF Sheets looks like which IS NOT used on our cabinets.

asdlfj.jpg

That's really interesting. I'll be on the lookout for your 'super wood'.
Has there been any thought to using t-slot type aluminum framing to increase support strength and reduce overall weight?

Keep up the great work!

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any thought to using t-slot type aluminum framing to increase support strength and reduce overall weight?

Keep up the great work!

Keep your eyes peeled. What I can say is yes, we do have plans to use Aluminum framing.

Amazing stuff coming in 2020

-Rich

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep up the great work!

Honestly the first I heard of superwood was a discussion with my engineer this weekend. It's a mixture of plastic and wood, essentially bullet proof. Maybe overkill, but we will see.

-Rich

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back