Measuring input/output flow for water changes?

It’s the Grim Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
75
Reaction score
102
Location
South Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef Keepers,

Wondering does anyone accurately measure their output and input when they do a water change?

I’m thinking about connecting a flow meter of sorts to my plumbing so I can pull out say 38 litres and replace it with the exact same amount. I always estimate it and while I’m sure I’m always close, even if I’m half a litre off, the ATO might make up the difference and then slightly alter my salinity.

Curious to see what others have setup to increase their accuracy with water change volumes?
 
Hey Reef Keepers,

Wondering does anyone accurately measure their output and input when they do a water change?

I’m thinking about connecting a flow meter of sorts to my plumbing so I can pull out say 38 litres and replace it with the exact same amount. I always estimate it and while I’m sure I’m always close, even if I’m half a litre off, the ATO might make up the difference and then slightly alter my salinity.

Curious to see what others have setup to increase their accuracy with water change volumes?

2 x 5 gal buckets out, 2 x 5 gal buckets in.

Any difference is fixed by the ATO. It's not that critical on a 10% water change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new