Mechanical Filtration

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE filter socks. I’ve been seeing some new cool ideas for the filter roller and id love to hear some first hand experience on either.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried filter cups, with floss? They have to be changed more frequently, but just ‘toss-the-floss’ and you’re done. But let’s see what people who own the rollers say...

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried filter cups, with floss? They have to be changed more frequently, but just ‘toss-the-floss’ and you’re done. But let’s see what people who own the rollers say...

I too hate cleaning filter socks!! I was thinking of using filter cups myself. DrsFosterandSmith.com sells 1”-1.5” thick media pads ranging from course to super fine. These can be easily rinsed and reused or replaced as often as you wish. Goal for me is to reduce replacement costs.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EF59537F-60AB-49A8-A726-7527DE263F79.jpeg

This is the filter floss tube I made by drinking holes in the ‘home sale’ Info tube (from Lowe’s/ Home Depot)

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the idea of not having to wash the media, but hate the thought of all that plastic waste bums me out.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too hate cleaning filter socks!! I was thinking of using filter cups myself. DrsFosterandSmith.com sells 1”-1.5” thick media pads ranging from course to super fine. These can be easily rinsed and reused or replaced as often as you wish. Goal for me is to reduce replacement costs.

I like the idea of reusable filter pads.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think socks are pretty great compared with other options. Of course you can go without mechanical filtration entirely too, but I prefer having it.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't use socks because they tend to catch a lot of my pods and other small planktonic organisms. I'm talking like a few mms of ONLY pods.

I have been using filter-floss on and off because honestly you can rinse it the same way you'd rinse a pad. I remove it, but it into a tub, and rinse with vinegar and hot water until clear again.

The thing is, is that it does get perpetually nasty so there's waste....but socks get way nastier, and if they're clogged then it's a no bueno situation drain-wise

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back