Media reactor DIY

kimcar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a ro-di (2 part) at a yard sale think it was a kenmore . It is not glass but clear plastic. Wondering if it would be possible to make a media reactor out of it . I was going to buy the single one from bulk reef supply just noticed that the ro-di unit looks like it but is double. Does anyone know if and how I could make this work or just toss it and buy one..Im all for saving on what I can and buying what I need for my saltwater hobby without going broke..thanks :smile:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to make it work pretty easily. You will more than likely have to switch out the 1/4" push connect fittings for some thing bigger like 1/2" which is pretty simple. Post some pictures if you can.

like-fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my C and GFO reactors are water filter housings just like they sell at Home Depot. Play with the lines in and out to adapt to whatever tubing you like. I believe i use 1/2" clear tubing. Barbs, some C-clamps. I did ppurchase the BRS media containers. They fit perfect. the housings are pretty universal and only come in a few sizes. Saved a few $$

OP
OP
K

kimcar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can buy the container for 9.99 each from BRS . This has two clear platic housings . which is the best GFO, carbon to use?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ro unit have brass or plastic fittings? If brass you can replace with john guest fittings and be good to go. Get ones with a valve if you do. Makes it easier to control flow

OP
OP
K

kimcar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has plastic fittings. Ended up buying a gfo reactor from a guy selling his equipment .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
K

kimcar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ...by the time I bought fittings and inserts and tubing I wasn't saving as much as I thought.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmers are way more cost efficient to make and most of the time work mo betta than your mid range skimmers, a sometimes better than the $7,000,000 NASA grade skimmer they will one day put on mars when we relocate our ocean some day.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see of I can come up with a super cheap reactor though, I'm thinking plastic bag from the LFS, rubber band, and an aqualifter haha. That would be about as cheap as you could go.

nova423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made several with varying levels of success, mostly depending on how lazy I am during each build.
The best container for a nano is a Costco Kirkland peppercorn or salt container. Exact same shape as a nano tumbler.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back