Medicated water ? and fluran alternative?

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I was hoping to get some advice. I will be acquiring two clown and a sixline (rehoming situation guaranteed ick) and I will be quarantining them. This will be my first quality/ medicated quarantine situation so I want to do it right.

I watched the BRS TV video series and was thinking about the part where you pre make the medicated water however, I only have one 50 gallon brute. This was the brute I intended to use as my long term saltwater mixing and storage. Would it be safe to make the medicated quarantine water in here and then turn around and use it for my display water after the quarantine process is complete?

*ALSO!!!* What is the furan-2 alternative? I’m nervous to mix chemicals since they can react with the copper.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why do you need furan 2? Do the fish also have an infection? I think that kanaplex or another broad spectrum anti biotic would work, but proactive antibiotic treatment is not something I recommend unless you have a reason to believe these fish have a bacterial infection.

Other than that, just make the medicated water in a 5 gallon bucket. Dump a big bottle of cycling bacteria in there with some biosponges or similar material in a hob filter. That way you don't need to do an insane amount of water changes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LSAReefers

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why do you need furan 2? Do the fish also have an infection? I think that kanaplex or another broad spectrum anti biotic would work, but proactive antibiotic treatment is not something I recommend unless you have a reason to believe these fish have a bacterial infection.

Other than that, just make the medicated water in a 5 gallon bucket. Dump a big bottle of cycling bacteria in there with some biosponges or similar material in a hob filter. That way you don't need to do an insane amount of water changes.
I was just following what BRS tv suggested as their 80/20 method to quarantining fish. They said to make enough medicated water (with copper power) in advance to do water changes throughout the two week duration. And they add the furan-2 to the tank after every water change. They suggested doing a 100% water change every 3 days for the 14 days. They said the Furan-2 or nutrofurazone helped ease the stress from the copper.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just following what BRS tv suggested as their 80/20 method to quarantining fish. They said to make enough medicated water (with copper power) in advance to do water changes throughout the two week duration. And they add the furan-2 to the tank after every water change. They suggested doing a 100% water change every 3 days for the 14 days. They said the Furan-2 or nutrofurazone helped ease the stress from the copper.

That is interesting. I guess I missed that part of the video when I saw it. @Jay Hemdal any thoughts about this method?

In my opinion, I would hold off on the furan 2. I am not sure why people think copper is that stressful on fish (assuming they are referring to copper power or copper safe), and I don't see how an antibiotic/anti-microbial compound would do anything beneficial in this case (fish not having an infection) and would ultimately just hinder your biofilter.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The drawbacks of dosing antibiotics in advance of any symptoms are greater than the benefit. There isn't any study that I know of that shows nitrofurazone makes copper less toxic - it is one of those things that gets out there and becomes, "I heard XYZ....".

I haven't dosed antibiotics in water for a long time, I do make up medicated get diet sometimes...

I'm a bit leery of using a mixing vessel for copper treated water and later using it for reef tanks. You would certainly need to wash it out well between uses, but most people get two mixing containers.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LSAReefers

LSAReefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drawbacks of dosing antibiotics in advance of any symptoms are greater than the benefit. There isn't any study that I know of that shows nitrofurazone makes copper less toxic - it is one of those things that gets out there and becomes, "I heard XYZ....".

I haven't dosed antibiotics in water for a long time, I do make up medicated get diet sometimes...

I'm a bit leery of using a mixing vessel for copper treated water and later using it for reef tanks. You would certainly need to wash it out well between uses, but most people get two mixing containers.

Jay
Thank you for the advice @Jay Hemdal and @Spare time. You have helped me out tremendously. I was able to acquire a second Brute so I won’t worry about that anymore. As for the Furan-2 I won’t worry about that either. I’ll just stick to the copper power .

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back