Medicating Midas Blenny in Canada

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

As the topic reads, live in Canada, and managing quarentine and disease and treatment up here has proven a challenge to say the least.

In any event, I have a new Midas Blenny. My plan was to treat with Cupramine, metro, and prazi as these meds I have in stock. If you can believe it, I dropped the bottle of Cupramine as I was drawing up the first dosage LOL, so NO MORE CUPRAMINE -- Clumsy I know.

So I started dosing metro. The fish lost his stress blotches and has quite the appetite.

I ordered a bottle of Cupramine online...so probably won't be here for another month.

Meds I have in stock:

General Cure
Metro
Prazipro

Question: if no signs of ich are present do I wait until Cupraime comes in? Can I start cupramine in a month after I have medicated with metroplex and prazipro?

Just want to be safe before I add him to my DT.

Here's a video

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hybrid TTM since all it requires is peroxide. Works wonderful.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention. I don't have TTM option.
It doesn’t require 2 tanks so to speak. Clear tubs from a big box store can work also. I have even used buckets in a pinch when there was some aggression. Just a thought.

If it is a time thing or something like that, no worries. Just wait for the cupramine and treat when you get it. No need to break a cycle if all fish you have have gone through qt.

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supratect legal in Canada, works wonders on freshwater and saltwater, treats ich/ick, fungal, bacterial, flukes and possibly intestinal parasites though they dont claim that it will treat intestinal parasites.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t require 2 tanks so to speak. Clear tubs from a big box store can work also. I have even used buckets in a pinch when there was some aggression. Just a thought.

If it is a time thing or something like that, no worries. Just wait for the cupramine and treat when you get it. No need to break a cycle if all fish you have have gone through qt.
Ya. It's very time consuming...and even as my name implies...I am used to medicating lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. It's very time consuming...and even as my name implies...I am used to medicating lol
lol and just throwing option out there. But you are right and my wife being a nurse, I understand completely. Time is precious, as there is never enough.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supratect legal in Canada, works wonders on freshwater and saltwater, treats ich/ick, fungal, bacterial, flukes and possibly intestinal parasites though they dont claim that it will treat intestinal parasites.
Interesting!!! That's some solid info. Thanks for sharing. I'd have to research the product

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol and just throwing option out there. But you are right and my wife being a nurse, I understand completely. Time is precious, as there is never enough.
What an amazing woman. However, my banggai cardinal couldn't handle copper so I stopped 4 days in. But he was captive, so that maybe helped a bit. But when you as wild as this Midas...not as comfortable ignoring the need to copper. So all is good to use at the end? Instead of at the beginning? Any reason why we start with copper? Does it have any positive effects? Or it just doesn't matter

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an amazing woman. However, my banggai cardinal couldn't handle copper so I stopped 4 days in. But he was captive, so that maybe helped a bit. But when you as wild as this Midas...not as comfortable ignoring the need to copper. So all is good to use at the end? Instead of at the beginning? Any reason why we start with copper? Does it have any positive effects? Or it just doesn't matter
When I did copper I always did 2 weeks of observation and feeding to get the fish as fat as I could. Of course moving to copper if symptoms showed up. Then the others after.

I think copper is done first, as velvet and ich can get out of hand quickly. So get that out of the way ASAP and treated is the thought.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did copper I always did 2 weeks of observation and feeding to get the fish as fat as I could. Of course moving to copper if symptoms showed up. Then the others after.

I think copper is done first, as velvet and ich can get out of hand quickly. So get that out of the way ASAP and treated is the thought.
Ok thanks!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

As the topic reads, live in Canada, and managing quarentine and disease and treatment up here has proven a challenge to say the least.

In any event, I have a new Midas Blenny. My plan was to treat with Cupramine, metro, and prazi as these meds I have in stock. If you can believe it, I dropped the bottle of Cupramine as I was drawing up the first dosage LOL, so NO MORE CUPRAMINE -- Clumsy I know.

So I started dosing metro. The fish lost his stress blotches and has quite the appetite.

I ordered a bottle of Cupramine online...so probably won't be here for another month.

Meds I have in stock:

General Cure
Metro
Prazipro

Question: if no signs of ich are present do I wait until Cupraime comes in? Can I start cupramine in a month after I have medicated with metroplex and prazipro?

Just want to be safe before I add him to my DT.

Here's a video

Just some random thoughts....

General Cure is metro plus prazi, so there is some overlap there.
Ive never used supratect, but I think it is one of those botanical extract tonics, that’s why they can sell it in Canada, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
I don’t like TTM - it doesn’t work for some parasites, too prone to timing mistakes, and is rough on the fish.
There is always hyposalinity - works on ich and Neobenedenia, but not Uronema and velvet.
Waiting 30 days for copper is risky, most protozoan issues show up in the first 30 days of getting a new fish.
Jay

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some random thoughts....

General Cure is metro plus prazi, so there is some overlap there.
Ive never used supratect, but I think it is one of those botanical extract tonics, that’s why they can sell it in Canada, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
I don’t like TTM - it doesn’t work for some parasites, too prone to timing mistakes, and is rough on the fish.
There is always hyposalinity - works on ich and Neobenedenia, but not Uronema and velvet.
Waiting 30 days for copper is risky, most protozoan issues show up in the first 30 days of getting a new fish.
Jay
So, if no signs of disease shows up after my two treatments don't treat copper? I literally dropped the bottle lol post dropping fish in tank

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not treat copper. Leave the fish alone and in a non stressful environment for a month and more often than not you will see a very healthy fish.
We must remember that fish are no different in that they when they are weak and stressed out they are far more susceptible to disease. I last quarantined a fish 18 years ago, and I did it for several years at the start of my journey. Give the animal a chance to fight it off, it may surprise you. My only point is enough medications will render the fish dead or useless, more likely the meds kill the fish than a disease that may be from a weakened immune system.
One medication that is never harmful in tank or in QT is a mixture of your fish food mixed in RO water and seachem metroplex and seachem focus (1tsp of each).
Signs of brook would be the one thing that you don't want by any means, that is the killer and I haven't seen it in a very very long time, since I quarantined fish.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair. My only issue is my captive bred I fish in my display tank prolly don't have the immune system to fight disease.

I hear you though. Great info. And the theory and your experience makes sense.

At the end of the day...like humans, the more we medicate, especially with antibiotics...the more resistant microorganisms become.

This fish is probably my favorite. I really hope it makes it through quarentine.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair. My only issue is my captive bred I fish in my display tank prolly don't have the immune system to fight disease.

I hear you though. Great info. And the theory and your experience makes sense.

At the end of the day...like humans, the more we medicate, especially with antibiotics...the more resistant microorganisms become.

This fish is probably my favorite. I really hope it makes it through quarentine.
I think it will have a good chance if you just leave it be and feed it a lot.
Soak the (frozen, preferably) fish food in a mix of vitamins (i use seachem vitality for this) as well as 1 tsp of seachem focus, and 1 tsp of seachem metroplex and feed for 3 weeks.
stop the metrolplex and focus and continue to feed for seachem vitality soaked frozen food for another couple while simply observing the fish. If things look good at this point, I am confident you can introude the fish to your tank.

Try and do smaller water changes, more often during this period. Instead of doing a 30 percent, do a 10-15 percent and do it twice as often. This will yield better results in most settings.

Other similar products exist beyond seachem, but these are what I use.

And those meds don't fix everything, (but IME they do a lot) the key is observing and patience, don't jump to conclusions and give the fish time, it isn't hurting anything in QT!

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test ammonia daily. Was a little concerned about its breathing today. Looks a little rapid...but I was also hovering around the tank.

It was hanging out on top of the little tree I have in the tank with its head partway out of the water. So, at that point I was like great its breathing heavy and gasping for air.

I checked ammonia (did a 20% water change today) and red sea colour around 0 mark. But then it started swimming, how it beautifully does.

So I dunno. Maybe I'm obsessive.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test ammonia daily. Was a little concerned about its breathing today. Looks a little rapid...but I was also hovering around the tank.

It was hanging out on top of the little tree I have in the tank with its head partway out of the water. So, at that point I was like great its breathing heavy and gasping for air.

I checked ammonia (did a 20% water change today) and red sea colour around 0 mark. But then it started swimming, how it beautifully does.

So I dunno. Maybe I'm obsessive.
Yea if you can stop medicating it, the sudden changes are what hurt them a lot IMO.
Just let it be and if you can get ahold of those products and some decent frozen food it will go a long way not only in this instance but in the future.
I soak my food in vitality at any hint of disease and recently had a tang deal with 2 different strains of ich, treated in the display by feeding a lot of vitamin enriched (soaked) food.
Lion fish was recently treated in the same display (reef) for intestinal worms. (metro, focus)
In another tank a coral beauty had intestinal worms and ich, treated the same way exact way and this tank was stocked full of coral and inverts at the time.

This is just my opinion, from someone who does care a lot about the animals

:)

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if you can stop medicating it, the sudden changes are what hurt them a lot IMO.
Just let it be and if you can get ahold of those products and some decent frozen food it will go a long way not only in this instance but in the future.
I soak my food in vitality at any hint of disease and recently had a tang deal with 2 different strains of ich, treated in the display by feeding a lot of vitamin enriched (soaked) food.
Lion fish was recently treated in the same display (reef) for intestinal worms. (metro, focus)
In another tank a coral beauty had intestinal worms and ich, treated the same way exact way and this tank was stocked full of coral and inverts at the time.

This is just my opinion, from someone who does care a lot about the animals

:)
Thanks. Most of us generally care I believe as well. I find a lot of insight and knowledge from a lot of people on here. It's nice to hear everyone's perspectives :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if no signs of disease shows up after my two treatments don't treat copper? I literally dropped the bottle lol post dropping fish in tank
No, all fish should go through a proactive protozoan treatment. Not doing that is a huge mistake. Copper is best, I was just saying I feel it would be a mistake to wait 30 days to start that, and I proposed hyposalinity as a possible alternate.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back