Melanurus Harassing New Leopard Wrasse - Help!

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I added my new female divided leopard wrasse to my 4 foot mixed reef tank on Saturday and my melanurus wrasse is not having it. The melanaurus has been in my tank for approximately six months, but has never harassed any new fish additions. Also, the leopard wrasse is only an inch or two big, compared to the melanurus being around 5 inches. I figured adding the leopard would not be an issue. Boy was I wrong.

The leopard buried itself in the sand after a few minutes of being chased and nipped at on Saturday. She came back out yesterday morning for only a few minutes and again buried in the sand after being harassed constantly for several minutes. This morning, it was more of the same and she is buried again. She appears very healthy, but I am concerned that she is going to starve due to not being out long enough and relaxed to eat anything.

Do you think this behavior will subside and I am overworrying, or do I need to intervene? I guess I should have used an acclimation box (which I do not own), but hindsight is always 20/20.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably rehome the melanurus. I don’t have one of those with my leopards since they can be a bit more aggressive than some others.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would probably rehome the melanurus. I don’t have one of those with my leopards since they can be a bit more aggressive than some others.
Not what I wanted to hear, but I will do that if I have to. I know you never know until you try, but I was under the assumption that they are generally compatible. Thanks for the reply!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least get the hoevens out for a while ....otherwise the leopard will stay in the sand.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
At the very least get the hoevens out for a while ....otherwise the leopard will stay in the sand.
I put him in my sump for now. I think I will just attempt to rehome to avoid any further problems.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your Leopard is doing well, and that you got the Melanurus out in time. If your Leopard is doing well, I would agree with your decision to rehome the Melanurus. Melanurus are easy to to get whild Leopard are not. Once the Leopard is establish, if you want you can always get another Melanurus in the future.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hope your Leopard is doing well, and that you got the Melanurus out in time. If your Leopard is doing well, I would agree with your decision to rehome the Melanurus. Melanurus are easy to to get whild Leopard are not. Once the Leopard is establish, if you want you can always get another Melanurus in the future.
New Leopard is doing great (see pic). Melanurus has a new home. Good call on a new one down the road. I love how he would cruise the tank and hunt all day. Thanks for the reply!
B3E132C2-BDC3-47E7-BB20-8993764F1909.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back