Melting Xenia ?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, I am off and would love to know why.

If she started off with fully live/established rock and established sand. What els in the tank needs to be established for the coral? The walls? Skimmer to break in. Looking at your profile you been in the hobby much longer than me, this is a genuine question.
Well to start off its 8 days man!?! I don't care where this rock came from or sand, I could have delivered it from my own tank had her fill it and the parameters would have been all over the board we all know this. Look at the post history, go deeper. I'd love to help, but every bit of advice has been ignored.....
For but one example Let's say we move a tank....with established live rock, do we move the sand with it? Or do we go with new? Every self respecting thread says go new. And I'm not trying to break your back same time....it's just all the basic rules are being broken here at breakneck speed....

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect testing error but could be wrong. Most salt does not mix higher then like 12-14 so to be at 18 or whatever would be strange without an additive being used
Okay then I will double check salt source for low dkh and do a water change to bring alk down

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bugs the crap out.of me when advice is ignored and people keep asking. Lol.
Or they dont get the answer they are looking for imo. Like they are searching.for the.answer in their head.to.appear.in front of them. They want to be.correct? Idk.
D

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s 100% why I’m reaching out! Thanks so much! I’ll get on it first thing!
First thing I would do is make sure you have accurate reading for salinity and slowly corrrct this. Maybe over a few day period. As you do this hopefully alk will fall in line with a better reading

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to start off its 8 days man!?! I don't care where this rock came from or sand, I could have delivered it from my own tank had her fill it and the parameters would have been all over the board we all know this. Look at the post history, go deeper. I'd love to help, but every bit of advice has been ignored.....
For but one example Let's say we move a tank....with established live rock, do we move the sand with it? Or do we go with new? Every self respecting thread says go new. And I'm not trying to break your back same time....it's just all the basic rules are being broken here at breakneck speed....
Live sand comes in a bag new... live rock is live rock. Sorry I disagree. Shoot if that’s the case my stuff should have all died off when I did a substrate change out with a 100% water change.

Or if someone with a bare bottom tank, dose a 100% water change.

sorry I completely disagree, this goes against everything I been taught.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay then I will double check salt source for low dkh and do a water change to bring alk down
It’s important to make sure moving forward that you always use proper salinity when doing water changes. Over next few days your water change could be slightly lower salinity to help you correct it but once close make sure to always mix fresh batch at between 1.025-1.026

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t have a test for ammonia yet. My alk is high, my salinity is low and all else is normal, temp is 77.6 and my other coral doing fine. I did start with live rock. I’m bringing salinity back up but how do I lower alk?

I see from one of your other threads that you’re using Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt, which is known to be high in Alk. If you want to lower the Alk whilst maintaining salinity you will need a different salt with lower Alk. Standard Instant Ocean salt has a lower Alk.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken all the advice I’ve received, I have purchased things I never heard of before this forum and I’ve kept reading and researching and asking for advice since day one! I was told I could add my coral after I had my water tested more then once & if you can’t be of help disappear

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s important to make sure moving forward that you always use proper salinity when doing water changes. Over next few days your water change could be slightly higher salinity to help you correct it but once close make sure to always mix fresh batch at between 1.025-1.026
I will!

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia has come off the plug I bought it on, I dipped it for 14 mins after buying it from lfs. It was doing fine but something isn’t right now. Just overnight it went from bountiful to blah. Now it has detached from the plug, (it was barely attached when I put it in the tank to begin with though.)
79BEA5A2-F0BB-4931-AD8E-486FB313C0A1.jpeg
Mine did this when I first added them. It’s probably a parameter that’s off. Honestly though, I’d be more impressed if you killed xenia than if they survived. Mine seemed dead for almost two weeks before I walked out one day and saw them pulsing.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see from one of your other threads that you’re using Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt, which is known to be high in Alk. If you want to lower the Alk whilst maintaining salinity you will need a different salt with lower Alk. Standard Instant Ocean salt has a lower Alk.
Good to know thank you!

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this when I first added them. It’s probably a parameter that’s off. Honestly though, I’d be more impressed if you killed xenia than if they survived. Mine seemed dead for almost two weeks before I walked out one day and saw them pulsing.
Okay! Thanks!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken all the advice I’ve received, I have purchased things I never heard of before this forum and I’ve kept reading and researching and asking for advice since day one! I was told I could add my coral after I had my water tested more then once & if you can’t be of help disappear
You bet I will, you don't get it and never will...but not before I reply to one or two more posts from your defenders supplying terrible advice like your LFS....

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not a bad idea to when you make a Fresh batch of salt mixed at 1.026 to test the alk of it. This will at least tell you if you are testing right or how far kit is off because most salt manufactures list what all should be at what salinity level. And then we can move forward from there to correct it

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll remember that!

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not a bad idea to when you make a Fresh batch of salt mixed at 1.026 to test the alk of it. This will at least tell you if you are testing right or how far kit is off because most salt manufactures list what all should be at what salinity level. And then we can move forward from there to correct it
Good idea!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back