OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help and need it. The last picture is a coral I’ve had for a while and gone thru new salts, dkh spike, and a few other events of the tank but it isn’t growing. Poly extensions all out. it
2bd1136d58e6f2ba7c6f0280d1ae834d.jpg
0dde64ad09757a74ac1aa7e4fafe6bd6.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tips seem to grow algea. I snip that and it happens again. But some just completely bleach. Magnificat fox face, unicorn tang(hope there aren’t any tang police here), diamond goby, swallowtail angel, lawnmower Belen today, orange shoulder tang.
Stay back tang police! ;) I too love tangs! You may have high phosphate because of your bioload. That’s a bunch of fish for 90 gallons. That doesn’t mean you have to get rid of them now (you will when they get larger) but it does mean your filtration needs to be top notch. In the end I would hang on to two of the small tangs... maybe the foxface and a yellow or other zebrasoma species. And even then, if they reach full size, your tank will be too small.

That being said... let’s move on. Algae.... if you have bunches and you’re phosphate is still high then something is amiss. Did you say you have a refugium?

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting seems sufficient to grow corals. Does that fixture have individual reflectors.
The 90 is pretty deep, was the placement of the SPS random or top/bottom

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay back tang police! ;) I too love tangs! You may have high phosphate because of your bioload. That’s a bunch of fish for 90 gallons. That doesn’t mean you have to get rid of them now (you will when they get larger) but it does mean your filtration needs to be top notch. In the end I would hang on to two of the small tangs... maybe the foxface and a yellow or other zebrasoma species. And even then, if they reach full size, your tank will be too small.

That being said... let’s move on. Algae.... if you have bunches and you’re phosphate is still high then something is amiss. Did you say you have a refugium?

Yes a refugium 20g. Lights are on when the main lights are off. Same for all the tanks

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a refugium 20g. Lights are on when the main lights are off. Same for all the tanks
You may have said this stuff but tell us your maintenance schedule. How often do you do water changes, change filter socks, etc? Also, what do you dose?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to check your PAR. Water chemistry never becomes and issue until corals start growing, depleting minerals, and then dying due to either insufficient minerals or poor dosing skills. If corals just come to die in your tank, it’s probably the lighting to blame.

I once thought my lights were sufficient and focused on water chemistry. Once my lfs sent me home with an Apogee to borrow, I was shocked at how low my PAR was. I tripled the PAR and then added another light for coverage. That’s when my corals suddenly started growing.

Bad husbandry and dosing is what killed them off afterwards:-(

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have said this stuff but tell us your maintenance schedule. How often do you do water changes, change filter socks, etc? Also, what do you dose?

2 week water changes, filter socks every 3-4 days, and I use a calcium reactor on the tank. Media change when I see a small dip in the dkh for a week.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8-7 with blue on and the whites come on at 10 and go off at 5.
Maybe cut the whites back a few hours. I have Radions so my lights come up gradually. But at the peak of the day, my whites only stay on for about 4 hours. If you spend any time in the ocean, there’s not a lot of white light past about 10 feet. Try to lessen the amt of time your whites are on. IME, SPS bleach from the top down if the light is too intense. It burns them. If they bleach from the bottom up it might be parasites. The only times I’ve ever had random bleaching was when the power head was blowing right on them or when they were being stung.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back