Mexican turbo question

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another noob question but can Mexican turbo snails move on sand? I’ve got 4 red leg hermit crabs that feed around the tank, but I’m just worried that the snails don’t leave my rock and may get hungry. Any advice is greatly appreciated

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another noob question but can Mexican turbo snails move on sand? I’ve got 4 red leg hermit crabs that feed around the tank, but I’m just worried that the snails don’t leave my rock and may get hungry. Any advice is greatly appreciated
They can move on sand. They do move slower, but they will get there eventually.

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, just be sure he doesn't get flipped over since they can't right themselves back up.
Yeah I’ve heard. I keep an eye on the tank constantly. I think I’m over worried about them. ( sounds weird). The hermits are doing fine, they go everywhere in the tank. I just don’t want the snails to go hungry. I’m feeding tiny algae pellets. Lfs said that is fine for them?

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve heard. I keep an eye on the tank constantly. I think I’m over worried about them. ( sounds weird). The hermits are doing fine, they go everywhere in the tank. I just don’t want the snails to go hungry. I’m feeding tiny algae pellets. Lfs said that is fine for them?
Hahaha it's not weird. I think most serious reefers will tell you they worry too much about one thing or another! I worry about my snails too sometimes because my Pinktail will sometimes flip them over to investigate, so I am constantly flipping them[emoji23]

But, if you have algae growth in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. The algae pellets are fine as long as they are consuming them, but it's better to let them search for algae naturally. As it is, they are part of a clean up crew, unless you just really like them[emoji41]

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any supplement foods are acceptable and they act as scavengers so should not be an issue. Algae wafers are one of the best.

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you’re reply couldn’t find algae wafers at my LFS only pellets, but there was seaweed wafers. Are they ok to feed snails/ crab/ shrimp?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for you’re reply couldn’t find algae wafers at my LFS only pellets, but there was seaweed wafers. Are they ok to feed snails/ crab/ shrimp?
Yes. Check Walmart. they should have algae wafers for catfish they sell

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha it's not weird. I think most serious reefers will tell you they worry too much about one thing or another! I worry about my snails too sometimes because my Pinktail will sometimes flip them over to investigate, so I am constantly flipping them[emoji23]

But, if you have algae growth in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. The algae pellets are fine as long as they are consuming them, but it's better to let them search for algae naturally. As it is, they are part of a clean up crew, unless you just really like them[emoji41]

I’m not going for fish in my tank. I like the look of inverts. I would like a nice coral too. It’s only a small tank, and I don’t want to stress any fish out. If I get along ok with this then maybe next year I’ll go bigger. Just figured go smaller first get the hang of it then expand after. I know everyone says bigger is easier but I’ve been doing very regular checks and thought if I can handle a smaller tank and make it work maybe bigger is a thing to look forward to?

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Cornwall in the uk. No Walmart’s here

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to let you guys know I’ve been using NSW. All is going well. Done a lot of research into this before I used it. I live in a good environment to use it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hermits will go after your snails eventually. If not to eat them, then to take their shell.

I have also hear of people feeding their snails nori.

OP
OP
Itsme

Itsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hermits will go after your snails eventually. If not to eat them, then to take their shell.

I have also hear of people feeding their snails nori.
Do you think if I put in empty shells in the tank the hermits will use them and not the snails shells?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It help reduce the frequency but if the hermit prefers that particular snail shell for some reason, then they will ignore the empty ones and go for the snail. :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back