Mg at 1500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

we've been running triton core7 almost a year. 1.5 months ago, Mg went quite high, up to 1500 - 1600, probably due to a faulty dosing head, or possibly due to the product. there have been no significant livestock or other changes.

in the sticky thread on fixes to main parameters, @Land Locked and @dirtdobber06 are having the same problem. in that same thread, tim@triton advises:

Senario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

we've changed out approx 25% of the water, and to little effect (using hw marine reefer). we've since stopped dosing Mg, for about a month now.

so then, besides Mg, what trace elements are we missing, by not dosing core7, part 1? and importantly, at what concentrations?

i realise this is the same as asking what's in core7 part 1, besides Mg :eek:

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a Triton test To see Where Your at .. also what test kit are you using To test Mg ...i use saliferts , last time i got my Triton test back it was lower than my tests results from my saliferts . Even so mag at 1500 Isnt that bad Some salts mix higher than that !!
Edit .. Mg in a reef is used as a binder for Calc and alk for the corals To make Their skeletons , I ran my mg at 1700+ for a couple of months too beat hair algae without any adverse affects

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thanks for the reply, we use both salifert and red sea. red sea is always higher, so we go by the salifert # lol

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv run Triton for well over a year and I have the same problem with high mag , last time I checked mine was in the 1600 range
It's been like this for a long time but everything in my tank grows great so if it's not broke don't fix it lol :)

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa, so many of you are running high Mg.

have we all breathed a collective sigh and stopped targeting NSW levels?

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha obi wan ;Cat

perhaps this is taking triton too far, but just to be thorough -- perhaps the high Mg club has a tilted bio-load?

what corals uses Mg the most vs. least?

don't say sticks, the last thing i need is to empty my wallet with more sticks lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason mack... YOU SAID MORE STICKS!!! lolololol

my coral load is the same, more sticks, less everything else

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm high mag and mixed reef aswell

IMG_20180806_093842.jpg

IMG_20180526_181707.jpg

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to follow up, we completely stopped dosing the core7 Mg (bottle 1) for the past 2 months. our Mg is now 1350 (down from 1500+). i know EVERYONE said to keep the levels equal, but all our CUC crabs were dying. like we'd add 10 emerald crabs, and they'd all die within a few days.

corals and water are now very happy. just an fyi.

now how to ease back into dosing bottle 1.... :rolleyes:

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to follow up, we completely stopped dosing the core7 Mg (bottle 1) for the past 2 months. our Mg is now 1350 (down from 1500+). i know EVERYONE said to keep the levels equal, but all our CUC crabs were dying. like we'd add 10 emerald crabs, and they'd all die within a few days.

corals and water are now very happy. just an fyi.

now how to ease back into dosing bottle 1.... :rolleyes:

Mag at 1500 is not a cause of invert death to my knowledge, did ICP testing show any traces out of ratio?

The Triton setpoints test states:
Scenario 8
Alk Ok
Ca Ok
Mg High
Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim@Triton, can you let us know what else is in core7 bottle 2 (Mg), and the concentrations?

it'd make life a whole lot easier under the triton system - just to dose those traces

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim@Triton, can you let us know what else is in core7 bottle 2 (Mg), and the concentrations?

it'd make life a whole lot easier under the triton system - just to dose those traces

Bottle #2 is by the way not Mg, it is Ca, and has next to no trace in it.

I cannot divulge the formulation of Core7, even if I knew them; that's a trade secret my friend.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so on another thread, dosing core7 at equal volumes, it seems many people don't mind if their Mg is above 1500, and here they say their system is fine at elevated levels of Mg.

however, the triton setpoint on the icp results pegs Mg at 1370 mg/l.

i know if i personally dosed Mg at equal parts to alk, our system Mg would be closer to 1700, if not higher. our Ca would be close to 500.

do we ignore the setpoints and dose equally? are many of us blowing thru the setpoints for Ca and Mg?

i think we should all discuss this.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jzw The setpoints are natural sea water samples we collected throughout the worlds reefs.

Mag above 1500 is regarded as safe

every tank has a different composition of livestock, and calcifies slightly differently.

We reccomend an alkalinity of 7dkh, and to dose all components equally. Often when people report high cal and mag, they are running their alk above 8dkh and into the 9s. If your tank consistantly climbs cal and mag values at 7dkh, reduce your overall dosage of Core7 and use CO3 to make up for the remaining alkalinity demand.

Back