Micro bubbles scrubbing DT

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Randy Randy Randy.

So all practical instances in water treatment, you're stating that you know more than the water processing engineers. Strange how CO2 affects carbonate solubility and availability in water and you deny that fact.
Higher CO2 affects calcification by limiting bio available carbonates and affects pH.

I think perhaps you are confusing multiple issues, and may be using the term solubility incorrectly.

What does it mean to you?

To me, to increase the solubility of something means that you change the ksp (the solubility product at equilibrium).

Removing CO2 from seawater does not change the ksp.

In layman’s terms, removing CO2 from seawater does not allow more carbonate to be present at the solubility limit of calcium carbonate (the solid that limits the concentration of carbonate in seawater).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 doesn't affect carbonate solubility and bio-availability? SERIOUSLY, Randy.

I said quite correctly that removing CO2 does not increase carbonate solubility, and I assumed you meant the solubility of just the carbonate ion.

If you mean the solubility of calcium carbonate, then every reefer knows that your statement is wrong because adding CO2 and thereby lowering pH allows calcium carbonate to dissolve more (i.e. is more soluble; as in a reactor) and also knows that if you drive the pH up you increase the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Both of these effects are the opposite of what you claimed.

I never said anything about carbonate bioavailability (which would rise as pH rises at fixed alkalinity), but I’m also not sure it has been shown that any typical reef organisms actually take up carbonate as opposed to bicarbonate.

pH effects on calcification by corals can happen for many reasons, not just the concentration of carbonate.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a step out and watch from the sidelines with popcorn. Maybe learn a thing or two. I can’t compete with and Engineer and Chemist...

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a spirited debate between smart folks:

I sat on the periphery of a typical university lecture hall, admittedly to be a college guy and smile at college gals, but I also enjoyed smart folk in the first couple rows who held spirited debates at the professor’s discretion.

They were no doubt very smart people, with varying degrees of intelligence and varying amounts of actual evidence to back their claims, but the degree to which they took the debate was the most fascinating part to me.

So I sincerely thank you guys for bringing me back to those days, if for but a moment. When my wife gets back from Pilates, that’ll complete the picture. ;)

Reef on!

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. We know. ;)

Proof.... as in relation to support of your argument pertaining to air stones in use in our aquariums. Not acidic oceans and how injecting microbubbles will raise the pH.
So how does seawater in a tank change characteristics from saltwater from the ocean? (provided that they are the same water)

Point being... saltwater in the home can take on excess CO2 from the immediate environment, just like it does in the oceans.

Increasing the oxygen saturation in both the reef tank and in the large expanse of the ocean can and will raise the pH based on the Carbonate availability (Alkalinity) of the water.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... [19] Nanobubbles have quickly gained scientific and industrial interest in applications such as water treatment, biomedical engineering, water disinfection, surface cleaning, degradation of organic pollutants, and many others. [20] In particular, the use of ozone nanobubbles in water is a promising antimicrobial agent for the treatment and prevention of several infectious diseases. [21,22] The size of ozone nanobubbles can range typically from to . ...

An excerpt from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_nanobubble_technology_for_water_treatment

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... even more recently... an article in 2018... explaining the characteristic changes in water structure and ionization of the water molecules.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/nanobubble.html

Dropping Science.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for history, being that I've been part of waste stream management and waste water and water remediation projects, here's one application from SHARP in 2005 that deals with removal of Nitrogenous waste from a semiconductor manufacturer. They were the first to utilize oxygen micronanobubbles to activate bacterial enzyme production to consume the waste.

http://www.digitaldingus.com/news/2006/05/05232006sharpnondilutingplant.php

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except that reefers are not making nanobubbles and this is just misleading. :(

Before posting such "evidence" it would be well worth it if you actually showed exactly why you think you are making nanobubbles in a reef.
For a correction Randy, it's MICRO-NANObubble production... the lack of understanding is the result of this argument.

You're misrepresentation of what we are creating versus the limited understanding of this topic makes many of the arguments from that view irrelevant.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excerpt from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jctb.5173

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND

In comparison with ordinary bubbles, microbubbles exhibit low floating rate and high surface charge density. More importantly, microbubbles shrink gradually and the gas–liquid interface charges congest significantly, generating large surface potential and energy, which promotes the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) when microbubbles eventually collapse. In this study, size‐controllable microbubbles were introduced to alkaline solutions by titanium microporous filters, and the effects of microbubble diameter, alkaline concentration and temperature on the formation of ROS were examined.

RESULTS
Maximum ROS concentration was obtained by using a microporous filter with average pore size of 25 µm and 40 µm in NaOH and KOH solutions, respectively. Further, with increase in alkaline concentration and temperature, the formation of ROS both exhibited parabolic trends, and optimal temperature for ROS formation was determined to be 65 °C. The maximum ROS concentration was 1.05 mmol L−1 and 3.51 mmol L−1 in NaOH and KOH solutions, respectively, after aerating for 60 min.

CONCLUSION
The formation of ROS is dependent on the bubble size and solution composition and is influenced by both temperature and alkaline concentration. The results further extend the range of ROS application and provide references for ROS regulations in alkaline media. © 2016 Society of Chemical Industry

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back