Midas Blenny and Goby comparability? 31G

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read in the past that blenny and goby shouldn’t be together, however recently I have read that as they occupy different space they get along fine?

Any experiences/suggestions?

I have plenty of live rock, caves, holes, ledges and areas that break apart the whole tank.

If this could work, suggestions on which goby? I’d have owned a watchman before so perhaps something different. I love the look of the Yasha Goby male.

106E0BE6-DBFE-45B9-9F6F-1B02C64545F5.jpeg F81C192D-19CB-4523-87F5-08DBD3322169.jpeg

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Midas blenny and Yellow watchman goby (in 90g system) and they rarely cross paths.

The blenny is either swimming everywhere, perching on corals or hiding inside barnacle shells. The goby is 100% on the bottom and mostly sticks to the entrance of his burrow with his pistol shrimp mate.

Whenever the blenny comes too close to the burrow the goby shows him who's boss by posturing. That's always enough to deter the blenny from further investigations.

I would think as long as the goby is a bottom dweller it should work with a Midas.

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different types of blennys and 2 types of gobies with no issues. Blennys free swimming. Gobies stay new the bottom close to their caves.
wow amazing! how about paired gobies? i’m now thinking maybe a pair of Yasha gobies?

Always very concerned about disrupting the whole community, happened once with a cherry dotty, was a nightmare to catch her.

I guess my next concern is if my shrimp will cause any concern for a Goby/pair. i’ve had a Bullseye snapping shrimp well over two years, my mistake when I was new. LFS enticed me to buy him for the goby/shrimp pairing, ended up finding the hard way he’s a lone ranger of the snapping shrimps (use to have no lid, guessing shrimp scared him out a burrow and the goby carpet surfed…)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow amazing! how about paired gobies? i’m now thinking maybe a pair of Yasha gobies?

Always very concerned about disrupting the whole community, happened once with a cherry dotty, was a nightmare to catch her.

I guess my next concern is if my shrimp will cause any concern for a Goby/pair. i’ve had a Bullseye snapping shrimp well over two years, my mistake when I was new. LFS enticed me to buy him for the goby/shrimp pairing, ended up finding the hard way he’s a lone ranger of the snapping shrimps (use to have no lid, guessing shrimp scared him out a burrow and the goby carpet surfed…)
I really don't try and pair fish in my tank. I have an eclectic mix of free swimmers and a few bottom rock dwellers. I had a banded shrimp for awhile and the small fish quickly learned he might be a predator and stayed clear. You have to have a lid with blennies and gobies. I did try and add a YWG awhile back but the gangsta neighborhood wouldn't accept him so he went back to the LFS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back