Midas Blenny & Firefish

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new and not sure what is normal. I just added 2 firefish to my 45 gallon tank that I’ve had a Midas Blenny and 2 clowns in for about a month. The blenny seems to be nipping at the firefish and chasing them. Is she just establishing her territory? How long should I give it? When would you pull a fish or what other steps would you take? Thank you!

Sheripie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just little nip now and then I think it should be OK.. Just showing who's the boss... If it chasing non stop then u might wanna separate them... I'm no expert tho

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TaraT, welcome to R2R! From my research, this is not abnormal. The two are similar in shape but do typically not have issues housing together. It is typical for fish to establish territories in this case as well.

Can you confirm whether the Midas if physically removing any of the fins or skin from the firefish? I would make the distinction between the Midas physically or not physically touching the firefish. If I had seen physical altercations, I would remove one or the others.

I also would recommend researching discussion on keeping two firefish together, assuming they're not a mated pair.

All my best

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey TaraT, welcome to R2R! From my research, this is not abnormal. The two are similar in shape but do typically not have issues housing together. It is typical for fish to establish territories in this case as well.

Can you confirm whether the Midas if physically removing any of the fins or skin from the firefish? I would make the distinction between the Midas physically or not physically touching the firefish. If I had seen physical altercations, I would remove one or the others.

I also would recommend researching discussion on keeping two firefish together, assuming they're not a mated pair.

All my best
Thank you all so much!

i haven’t seen any physical damage yet but I will watch for it. The Blenny hasn’t changed colors either which she is quick to do if stressed. You are all probably right and they are just establishing a pecking order. The 2 firefish seem to be sticking close to each other (maybe a common enemy is bringing them together). I honestly didn’t realize there could be issues with more than one. Thank you for warning me. I’m going for as peaceful a tank as possible. I will keep an eye on them. Here I thought the clowns would be the most aggressive. They are off in their own little world by their favorite power head.

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have said, midas blennies are somewhat known to not get along with firefish. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but i've heard/read from a few different sources, as a midas blenny will probably the next fish I add.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have said, midas blennies are somewhat known to not get along with firefish. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but i've heard/read from a few different sources, as a midas blenny will probably the next fish I add.
I imagine it has a lot to do with the similar body shape, I also imagine they kinda know/learn firefish and gobies are timid so they are much more bold around them

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try rearranging your rock work. Fire-fish are notorious jumpers especially when another fish is harassing them. Be sure to cover your tank.

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine it has a lot to do with the similar body shape, I also imagine they kinda know/learn firefish and gobies are timid so they are much more bold around them
That makes perfect sense! Being so docile, the fire fish probably won't do much fighting back, so to speak. lol, "bold" is the perfect word for the midas. In color and attitude!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read from a couple of places that Midas Blennies can do this. Can’t comment much apart from this, but I hope it’s just a bit of rough play without the intent to severely wound / kill. Keep an eye out for both of them.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new and not sure what is normal. I just added 2 firefish to my 45 gallon tank that I’ve had a Midas Blenny and 2 clowns in for about a month. The blenny seems to be nipping at the firefish and chasing them. Is she just establishing her territory? How long should I give it? When would you pull a fish or what other steps would you take? Thank you!
Hey TaraT! Welcome to the hobby! Saltwater can be challenging at times, and it can really require some planning... Maybe my new video can help you out. Attempting my try at a channel and would love to help out as many people as I can with info like this... enjoy and my PMS are always open for questions.

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one firefish is missing this morning. The tank is covered so I don’t think he jumped. He was the one the blenny was really upset about. I’m wondering if he was dispatched in the night and then cleaned up by my snails and crabs. I feel awful. I thought they had settled down by bedtime. No more long skinny fish are going in this tank.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one firefish is missing this morning. The tank is covered so I don’t think he jumped. He was the one the blenny was really upset about. I’m wondering if he was dispatched in the night and then cleaned up by my snails and crabs. I feel awful. I thought they had settled down by bedtime. No more long skinny fish are going in this tank.
TaraT fish will somehow FIND a way out if there is even the slightest hole to escape, and sometimes the mesh cant even stop it.

Key to have a stock list set and understand territorial aggression before adding new fish. Most likely was forced out of the tank by being chase by the clowns. These things happen, but its a lesson learned! Keep trucking along thats only the beginning of challenges to solve in this unique hobby.

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s alive! I guess he was just really well hidden. I got a glimpse of him a moment ago. Now I’m wondering if I should try to pull them and see if my LFS will trade or give them more time to settle in.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Due to the sporadic availability of the Midas in my place, and due to downsizing my tank after negotiations with my apartment’s owner, I have decided to go with a Starry or Bicolor Blenny instead as they’re perching fish.

I’ve read in numerous places that the Midas can nip at Firefish and I think the Purple Firefish I’m getting is so pretty.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Due to the sporadic availability of the Midas in my place, and due to downsizing my tank after negotiations with my apartment’s owner, I have decided to go with a Starry or Bicolor Blenny instead as they’re perching fish.

I’ve read in numerous places that the Midas can nip at Firefish and I think the Purple Firefish I’m getting is so pretty. Would love a Midas someday for my second or third tank.

@TaraT I’m glad your little guy showed up again! Did you give the Firefish time to be established before adding more aggressive fish?

OP
OP
TaraT

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve read in numerous places that the Midas can nip at Firefish and I think the Purple Firefish I’m getting is so pretty. Would love a Midas someday for my second or third tank.

@TaraT I’m glad your little guy showed up again! Did you give the Firefish time to be established before adding more aggressive fish?
I love perching fish! That will be fun. It was hard for me to find a Midas as well. I do love her. I think she is may favorite. She was in before the firefish. I thought they were peaceful so I was not that worried about it, and I was trying to get a proper lid on the tank and quarantining before adding the firefish. I was more worried about the clowns given my research, but they are in their own little world. Nothing phases them. It looks like it’s all settled down today. The firefish came back out and the blenny has been doing her own thing. I think she was just telling them who is boss. As long as they stay away from her barnacle she seems ok. Fingers crossed that they keep the peace. If you like Perching fish the Midas prob isn’t it. I thought she would perch a bit more, but she was mainly just hanging out on the sand bed until I put in the barnacle for her.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back