Midas blenny scratching, flukes?

Kelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Since yesterday my Midas blenny has been acting strange, it's scratching its body along the rockwork (see video) and sometimes biting its tail. All other fish are acting normal. All fish are eating normally. No signs of white spots whatsoever.

The blenny has been in my tank for about 3 weeks, a few days ago I added a square tail bristletooth tang without quarantine. I've noticed my royal gramma is out more and the midas blenny is sometimes nipping at it, the tang however is defending the royal gramma by swimming between the blenny and the gramma.

The blenny does not have any visible white spots or other signs of skin parasites/damage. Should I try to catch it for a freshwater dip? I ordered a bottle of Colombo Marine Femsal, which I could start using tomorrow. Is this a parasite? Or could its skin be damaged by the tang?

Stock list 65 gallon:
1 Midas blenny
2 ocellaris
1 royal gramma
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 square tail bristletooth tang

The tank has been running for 3 months, rockwork has been cycling for 6 months prior.

Temperature: 25 celcius 77 fahrenheit
pH: 8.15-8.3
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.026 // 35 ppt
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
Phosphorus: 0.03
Copper: not tested, using water through reverse osmosis
Other: dkh 8.5, calcium 440

video:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To eliminate the possibility of flukes, give it a freshwater dip for 5 minutes At the same temperature as display tank and return it to the display tank.
Look on bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. Those if present are flukes.

OP
OP
K

Kelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, i've been trying to catch it but unsuccessful so far..

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kelp how did things turn out?
Did you do freshwater dip and see flukes?
If so did you medicate?
Did fish make it .?

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through this and it was a nightmare. I treated with Prazi twice as directed and no change. Suddenly he started swimming into the power head and twitching his head. Once he started hiding, that’s when I knew he was gone. For sure I think you should treat for Prazi but definitely keep an eye out for Velvet/Ich because the symptoms can be annoyingly similar at times. Good luck!

Back