Might be something, might be nothing

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my clownfish looks a bit strange. I’ve read enough to be wary it could be brook (face and front upper body look a little odd) but I have never dealt with it before. On the other hand, I don’t think he looks that strange, and he is acting completely normal. I only recently added the smaller, lighter clown and the existing clown has been hankering for a partner, so they paired immediately. I am thinking he may look a little odd because he is changing over gender. He definitely has gotten a lot bigger and deeper colored since they paired.

What do you guys think?
63841C24-46EF-4394-8951-5F659E8810A0.jpeg
656D4285-48BF-40C8-A29E-83232F43DACF.jpeg
73ADD872-8CB2-46D6-AB47-506AAA335AB5.jpeg
85E095AB-2ACD-401D-ACE6-53DD2E0E8A6F.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my clownfish looks a bit strange. I’ve read enough to be wary it could be brook (face and front upper body look a little odd) but I have never dealt with it before. On the other hand, I don’t think he looks that strange, and he is acting completely normal. I only recently added the smaller, lighter clown and the existing clown has been hankering for a partner, so they paired immediately. I am thinking he may look a little odd because he is changing over gender. He definitely has gotten a lot bigger and deeper colored since they paired.

What do you guys think?
63841C24-46EF-4394-8951-5F659E8810A0.jpeg
656D4285-48BF-40C8-A29E-83232F43DACF.jpeg
73ADD872-8CB2-46D6-AB47-506AAA335AB5.jpeg
85E095AB-2ACD-401D-ACE6-53DD2E0E8A6F.jpeg

This is a tough one - the two probable diagnoses are Brooklynella or Velvet (Amyloodinium). They require two different treatments. I generally use respiration rate to tell them apart (fish with velvet breath much faster). However, in this video, the fish is breathing at an intermediate rate, so I can't tell you which way to go with this. If you had a microscope, you could do a skin scrape and know right away what's going on, but otherwise, you need to toss a coin!

Do you have a treatment tank available? If so, I would move the fish there and treat with copper. If you don't have that, it becomes much more difficult - you could try treating with Ruby Reef Rally or Polyp Lab Medic, but since they are "reef safe" they are also not as effective against parasites.

Jay

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one - the two probable diagnoses are Brooklynella or Velvet (Amyloodinium). They require two different treatments. I generally use respiration rate to tell them apart (fish with velvet breath much faster). However, in this video, the fish is breathing at an intermediate rate, so I can't tell you which way to go with this. If you had a microscope, you could do a skin scrape and know right away what's going on, but otherwise, you need to toss a coin!

Do you have a treatment tank available? If so, I would move the fish there and treat with copper. If you don't have that, it becomes much more difficult - you could try treating with Ruby Reef Rally or Polyp Lab Medic, but since they are "reef safe" they are also not as effective against parasites.

Jay
I can probably look at a skin scrape by Friday afternoon, I’ve never done such a thing but I’m sure I can manage it. In the meantime I can either start dosing polyp lab medic right this moment, or have him in a tank with copper tomorrow. The smaller clown is unaffected for now. I appreciate the help. I’m leaning towards just doing the reef medic and seeing how that goes. If it gets any worse I could then switch him to a QT tank and do copper.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probably look at a skin scrape by Friday afternoon, I’ve never done such a thing but I’m sure I can manage it. In the meantime I can either start dosing polyp lab medic right this moment, or have him in a tank with copper tomorrow. The smaller clown is unaffected for now. I appreciate the help. I’m leaning towards just doing the reef medic and seeing how that goes. If it gets any worse I could then switch him to a QT tank and do copper.
If they are the only fish in the tank, I would probably treat them both together. Both Velvet and Brook are quick killers....are clowns are very susceptible to Brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you might consider is to give the fish a 5 minute FW dip as you are moving them to the QT. That way, if it IS Brook, you'll see some relief. If the fish in the copper start to backslide after the dip, then you can be more sure it is brook and then change up the treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal reef medic and UV has not helped, those are the only steps I have taken, my original post was 26 days ago. I haven’t done the skin scrape, just a bit nervous about it and don’t want to stress the fish too hard. The fish still is acting mostly normal but whatevers up with her isn’t getting any better (or worse really). I’m thinking a freshwater dip and then copper should be my next move, thoughts? You can see it very clearly in the video. Other fish still not inflicted.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal reef medic and UV has not helped, those are the only steps I have taken, my original post was 26 days ago. I haven’t done the skin scrape, just a bit nervous about it and don’t want to stress the fish too hard. The fish still is acting mostly normal but whatevers up with her isn’t getting any better (or worse really). I’m thinking a freshwater dip and then copper should be my next move, thoughts? You can see it very clearly in the video. Other fish still not inflicted.

The odd thing here is the chronic nature of this. Velvet would always kill the fish in a few days if not treated, and Brooklynella usually kills within a week. For the fish to be in essentially the same condition after 20+ days? I'm sorry, but I can't account for that. Maybe the UV and Medic were giving partial control during this time? A FW dip and copper would be perhaps the best course of action, but I'm just spitballing.

Has anything changed about the fish in the past three weeks?
When was the last time you added Medic?

Jay

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing here is the chronic nature of this. Velvet would always kill the fish in a few days if not treated, and Brooklynella usually kills within a week. For the fish to be in essentially the same condition after 20+ days? I'm sorry, but I can't account for that. Maybe the UV and Medic were giving partial control during this time? A FW dip and copper would be perhaps the best course of action, but I'm just spitballing.

Has anything changed about the fish in the past three weeks?
When was the last time you added Medic?

Jay
Finished medic about a week and a half ago. No change in the fish really (except I’m fairly sure it’s turned female during January) for three weeks, I’ll do a freshwater dip after work today and set up a QT

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have done a 5 minute freshwater dip, and returned her to her display for now. I’ll set up a 10 gallon QT now although I truly hate doing it.

I can’t really tell if she looks better, it almost looks like it helped but that’s a bias I want to have so a second set of eyes would help. She was not that bothered by the freshwater but her appetite is down now, it was only a bit ago though so that’s understandable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Medic is merely Peroxide salts and I wouldnt expect much from that.
As mentioned by Jay, Freshwater dip with water temp same as display tank will offer Temporary relief.
Have you seen rapid respiration, fish gasping for air at the surface? If brook, the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
Since there is parasitical possibility involved. it may be worth using Ruby Rally Pro which treats for both . If you use this, start with a 90 min ruby bath and continue treatment

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medic is merely Peroxide salts and I wouldnt expect much from that.
As mentioned by Jay, Freshwater dip with water temp same as display tank will offer Temporary relief.
Have you seen rapid respiration, fish gasping for air at the surface? If brook, the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable symptom of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body.
Typical treatment is a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
Since there is parasitical possibility involved. it may be worth using Ruby Rally Pro which treats for both . If you use this, start with a 90 min ruby bath and continue treatment
The fish is never gasping or struggling at all, she acts perfectly well all the time. Eats with gusto, have had her for almost 1 year. The thick white mucus you mention gets my attention because it’s almost like she has fine coating (wouldn’t say thick mucus) of something but from what I understand fish die fast from brook and she seems perfectly good except for what I see visibly on her skin. She’s had whatever it is for at least a month probably longer because I don’t think I noticed immediately. I’ll check into the ruby rally pro if that’s a bit more of a catch all but still effective, I hope it’s not too hard on the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have done a 5 minute freshwater dip, and returned her to her display for now. I’ll set up a 10 gallon QT now although I truly hate doing it.

I can’t really tell if she looks better, it almost looks like it helped but that’s a bias I want to have so a second set of eyes would help. She was not that bothered by the freshwater but her appetite is down now, it was only a bit ago though so that’s understandable.

It doesn't look any better to me, but it often takes 24 to 48 hours for a dip to show any benefit (if it is going to).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish is never gasping or struggling at all, she acts perfectly well all the time. Eats with gusto, have had her for almost 1 year. The thick white mucus you mention gets my attention because it’s almost like she has fine coating (wouldn’t say thick mucus) of something but from what I understand fish die fast from brook and she seems perfectly good except for what I see visibly on her skin. She’s had whatever it is for at least a month probably longer because I don’t think I noticed immediately. I’ll check into the ruby rally pro if that’s a bit more of a catch all but still effective, I hope it’s not too hard on the fish?
Ruby is actually mild and reef safe. FW dip then would be a good gamble. In a Clean bucket add fish to bucket of tap water the same temperature as display tank for 5 mins. Thereafter return it to display tank.
Using a flashlight, look at bottom of that bucket for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. If you can see that - Flukes.

OP
OP
RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another month has passed and the fish still has not changed conditions. I’m sure if it was brook or velvet the fish would have died by now, so, assuming it’s not one of those parasites, then maybe it’s just a bacterial infection or something? It has been going for a long time and the fish seems to have normal behavior, except I don’t like how he sleeps sometimes on his side near the surface but I think he’s just being a clownfish. They typically stay by the power head in the corner. Also, besides the odd looking stuff on him you can see he has a tiny bit of fin rot on his tail.
9D183775-1739-4CC4-842A-A4A479155E3C.jpeg
EB59743E-1790-4A36-B838-8D01F91C897C.jpeg
323C91F4-9407-4CF9-BDB1-E7516FFC42AE.jpeg

Anyways, I’m starting metroplex now at the suggestion of my LFS but am curious what others may think. @Jay Hemdal

edit: may be worth noting the other clown appears completely healthy and rapidly growing

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. This long definitely not velvet or Brook and I agree leaning towards bacterial. Metroplex is good or kanaplex but I let the experts weigh in

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another month has passed and the fish still has not changed conditions. I’m sure if it was brook or velvet the fish would have died by now, so, assuming it’s not one of those parasites, then maybe it’s just a bacterial infection or something? It has been going for a long time and the fish seems to have normal behavior, except I don’t like how he sleeps sometimes on his side near the surface but I think he’s just being a clownfish. They typically stay by the power head in the corner. Also, besides the odd looking stuff on him you can see he has a tiny bit of fin rot on his tail.
9D183775-1739-4CC4-842A-A4A479155E3C.jpeg
EB59743E-1790-4A36-B838-8D01F91C897C.jpeg
323C91F4-9407-4CF9-BDB1-E7516FFC42AE.jpeg

Anyways, I’m starting metroplex now at the suggestion of my LFS but am curious what others may think. @Jay Hemdal

edit: may be worth noting the other clown appears completely healthy and rapidly growing

Metroplex is mostly an anti-parasitic. It does have some secondary affect against anaerobic bacteria, but external bacteria would be aerobic.

I keep coming back to the other clown - it is seemingly symptom-free. That rules out most contagious disease issues such as velvet, brook, ich or flukes. It is possible that a secondary bacterial infection (which typical involves bacteria that is already present in the tank) will affect one weakened fish and not a stronger one.

The tail fin erosion also bothers me. I wonder if this clown is getting picked on. Clowns are VERY sneaky about this - they will be on their best behavior while you are watching them......

Jay

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is mostly an anti-parasitic. It does have some secondary affect against anaerobic bacteria, but external bacteria would be aerobic.

I keep coming back to the other clown - it is seemingly symptom-free. That rules out most contagious disease issues such as velvet, brook, ich or flukes. It is possible that a secondary bacterial infection (which typical involves bacteria that is already present in the tank) will affect one weakened fish and not a stronger one.

The tail fin erosion also bothers me. I wonder if this clown is getting picked on. Clowns are VERY sneaky about this - they will be on their best behavior while you are watching them......

Jay
Asking for OP since I am curios! Then what would you suggest treatment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back