Might getting goby and pistol shrimp

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought about getting a pistol and goby for my tank

Would you feel this is too much for a 29 gallon.
Current stock
2 damsels.
2 Clown Fish
1 Mandarin
1 Coral Beauty

Corals
1 Frag of Kenya tree
1 Big colony of zoas
2 frags of zoas
2 Medium size zoas
3 mushrooms
1 gtba
2 gsp
2 xenia
1 frag of scroll
80+ small dwarf hermit crab
10 snails

OP
OP
peterthegamer

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It a small one. My friend was getting rid of his tank. Around 2 inches.

Jer77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ the previous comments. If you want to continue to add fish a larger tank should be your next investment rather than more fish. I started with a 29g and an H. crispa (Sebae) anemone with a clarkii clownfish and other fish. The bioload became an issue and keeping the water clean enough for everyone especially the corals and inverts. I had to utilize nitrification filters which aren't good for corals and inverts.

To comment on the goby/pistol combination w/ your current setup/livestock I just have a couple things to offer. I have kept all the fish you have including a Wheeler's goby/Steinitz goby and tiger pistol shrimp. In a small tank having more than one goby type fish may cause one to pick on the other. Shrimp gobies may annoy the mandarin if it comes too close to its territory. Just some advice on pistol shrimp, they can be reckless with their behavior sometimes. I've had one cut open a sand-sifting starfish and injure other livestock that live around its hole. They can't see very good and will use its pinchers when scared or threatened, but most often they are harmless. In a small tank they will make a mess of the sand, sometimes they can dig very large holes or even multiple ones. They never really stop burrowing, they're always busy working moving sand around. They use little thought in where they dig too, so they can dig under rocks and in places that can cause problems. I'm trying to say if you want to have control over the layout/arrangement/placement of your tank, you may have to give up a little to the shrimp.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until the issue you are having with the coral beauty is resolved. Adding a fish in to the mix will surely worsen the situation, and likely end up with it having ich as well. See if your friend can hold onto it for you in the meantime.

OP
OP
peterthegamer

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what I'm thinking too. I was thinking of getting rid of the 2 clowns and get 1 or 2 snowflake clowns.

OP
OP
peterthegamer

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think I might hold off on the clowns since I decided maybe coral would be a better route than fish. From What I am thinking this is what the next corals might be

2+ Zoas frags
1+ acans frag
Maybe another mushroom
Maybe a suncoral
Favia Frag

OP
OP
peterthegamer

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have gotten back from my lfs.

Item I got

1 Frag with 1 mushroom and a few nice zoas
1 Head of frogspawn
2 Hairy Mushroom

IBEW41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the damsels and tang also manderin all bad for a small cube.the damsels will get mean the tang and the coral beauty will get to big stress then ick,and the manderin you will go broke feeding pods the eats hundreds every week unless you train to eat pellets.are you still going to get a anemone also?

Back