Mini brittlestar spawning event

This is so interesting. @Erin1971Texas and @EricR are your brittle stars out like that normally our did they just come out for this?
I almost never see them OUT -- just arms sticking out of rocks everywhere at feeding time,,, but I've seen this type of spawning thing a handful of times, usually when I'm moving rocks or pulling them out to scrub, like I mentioned.
 
This is so interesting. @Erin1971Texas and @EricR are your brittle stars out like that normally our did they just come out for this?
I see arms all the time, especially during feeding and after lights out, but rarely see the bodies...
 
Are these micro brittle stars or regular? I bought micro and they are supper small and I have never seen them since adding them to the tank, I have some of the regular larger ones which look like these. Just curious
Micro.
 
The ones I bought must have been young. Hopefully they are still in the rocks some where lol
Get out your flashlight an hour after lights out... I bet you'll see their arms.
 
Are these micro brittle stars or regular? I bought micro and they are supper small and I have never seen them since adding them to the tank, I have some of the regular larger ones which look like these. Just curious
Do the micro grow into regular brittle starfish ?
 
Do the micro grow into regular brittle starfish ?
Since they're spawning (i.e. sexually mature), I would assume not. I'd assume these are different species than the normal brittle stars (there are over 2,000 known brittle star species, so this wouldn't be surprising to me).
 
I wonder if the water change water was at a different temperature. Maybe a change in temperature could have caused a spawning event.
 
I wonder if the water change water was at a different temperature. Maybe a change in temperature could have caused a spawning event.
It's possible but would only have been by less than 1 degree
 
@EricR did yours spawn again too??
I actually noticed a couple on top of rocks spewing stuff about a week ago but lights were going down so didn't bother trying for a video.
*I recently started doing frequent, small water changes with low alkalinity water to deal with a runaway alkalinity situation so that may (or may not) have triggered something

I assume they probably spawn more often than I observe and it must "take" sometimes because I definitely have more in my tank now than I did a couple of years ago.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new