Mini brittlestar spawning event

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so interesting. @Erin1971Texas and @EricR are your brittle stars out like that normally our did they just come out for this?
I almost never see them OUT -- just arms sticking out of rocks everywhere at feeding time,,, but I've seen this type of spawning thing a handful of times, usually when I'm moving rocks or pulling them out to scrub, like I mentioned.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so interesting. @Erin1971Texas and @EricR are your brittle stars out like that normally our did they just come out for this?
I see arms all the time, especially during feeding and after lights out, but rarely see the bodies...

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these micro brittle stars or regular? I bought micro and they are supper small and I have never seen them since adding them to the tank, I have some of the regular larger ones which look like these. Just curious
Micro.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these micro brittle stars or regular? I bought micro and they are supper small and I have never seen them since adding them to the tank, I have some of the regular larger ones which look like these. Just curious
Do the micro grow into regular brittle starfish ?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the micro grow into regular brittle starfish ?
Since they're spawning (i.e. sexually mature), I would assume not. I'd assume these are different species than the normal brittle stars (there are over 2,000 known brittle star species, so this wouldn't be surprising to me).

Fishboy James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the water change water was at a different temperature. Maybe a change in temperature could have caused a spawning event.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EricR did yours spawn again too??
I actually noticed a couple on top of rocks spewing stuff about a week ago but lights were going down so didn't bother trying for a video.
*I recently started doing frequent, small water changes with low alkalinity water to deal with a runaway alkalinity situation so that may (or may not) have triggered something

I assume they probably spawn more often than I observe and it must "take" sometimes because I definitely have more in my tank now than I did a couple of years ago.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back