Mini Maxi Carpets?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up on maxi mini carpet anemones a little and am quite interested. And honestly i'm really surprised not more people have these. Is there a hidden reason they are not commonly distributed in the hobby?
I also have seen some stunning pictures of insane color morphs and yet haven't found any that look like that for sale. Anyone know the best place to buy the cool colors of them?
And one last thing. If you have any post up some pictures!

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep about a dozen in my 210, I've had some do great and others disappear. They usually stay put once placed, some will feed, others live off the fat of the land. They color up nice, but they are not mainstream, the rock nems have kinda pushed them out of style.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190320_170549166_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but like so many things in this hobby, new stuff, like maxi-mini anemones, show up, become hugely popular (and expensive) and then interest fades over time to a 'normal' level. These were crazy popular a number of years ago. I got a couple that are rather ordinary looking. I think they reproduce by splitting, but mine have only reproduced a couple times in 6 to 8 years.

I occasionally see them in Ebay auctions.

More recently I think Rock Flower Anemones have pushed them to the back burner. RFA are even more colorful (crazy nice fluorescence under blue leds) , easy to keep (IMHO), and in my tank they have spawned 3 times and I have 30+ baby RFA's in just a few years.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That purple one is a stunner!
I can't say for sure, but like so many things in this hobby, new stuff, like maxi-mini anemones, show up, become hugely popular (and expensive) and then interest fades over time to a 'normal' level. These were crazy popular a number of years ago. I got a couple that are rather ordinary looking. I think they reproduce by splitting, but mine have only reproduced a couple times in 6 to 8 years.

I occasionally see them in Ebay auctions.

More recently I think Rock Flower Anemones have pushed them to the back burner. RFA are even more colorful (crazy nice fluorescence under blue leds) , easy to keep (IMHO), and in my tank they have spawned 3 times and I have 30+ baby RFA's in just a few years.
Yeah according to my readings they did get pretty popular at one time. But I feel like that the intrest didn't fade to a normal level this time. All mention of them just drops after a while. They do reproduce by splitting. But they are very easy to propagate artificially. And i think they have a short cool down time until they are able to split again.
It is really unfortunate RFA's are stealing their thunder. Though beutiful and fun to keep in their own right I personally just don't enjoy how rfa's look. And the argument over colors is an opinion really. personally I feel like mini maxis have much more variety of patters and coloration.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting info in here about how they've already gone through their hype cycle. Didn't realize I had missed it, but I'm glad I did. I've enjoyed them because I can keep it alive after being unsuccessful with so many bubble tips. I've got a single one and am looking at adding more because it's so simple. It's stayed in the same spot on the same rock since I've set up the tank, even though I've moved the rock around a few times. The only thing that concerns me is how sticky they are. I've had it attach to my hand and It isn't easy to get off, I can't imagine a fish would make it out of that. Thankfully mine hasn't snatched up a fish yet.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been reading up on maxi mini carpet anemones a little and am quite interested. And honestly i'm really surprised not more people have these. Is there a hidden reason they are not commonly distributed in the hobby?
I also have seen some stunning pictures of insane color morphs and yet haven't found any that look like that for sale. Anyone know the best place to buy the cool colors of them?
And one last thing. If you have any post up some pictures!

They were hugely popular at one point. Now it is rock anemones and their popularity is slowing down too..

I used to have a few. They are allot like a haddoni anemone in how sticky they are and mine ate several fish...

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the fish eating problem. Hopefully it would eat my annoying clown ;). I would probably avoid perching fish and tiny fish as to minimize this risk. But i'm really considering putting a few in my tank. I would need to find a good source with really nice coloration before i pulled the trigger tho.
Probably my favorite thing about these nems is that they like high light and high flow. as someone with halides and 150x turnover rate this is really appealing to me and another reason they beat out RFAs in my case.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is exactly what i was looking for!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
97FC2442-F933-410D-A35C-F3BCCC1B0DE1.jpeg

This one hangs out on the rock. Don’t mind the dirty tank. My Nem tank is dirty and the Nems seem to do better when I let the phosphates run wild

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info everyone! Will probably be getting a few soon. But for now lets see more pics!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I have been keeping them for about a decade now. Our collection at one point was up over 20 but we lost quite a few in our last move and are now down at I think 12 last I counted.

We have intentionally cut them on 2 separate occasions, the first time working out well, the second time a total failure with the loss of both halves. We have NEVER seen one split on its own, and I don’t think they will do it unless it’s a live or die scenario and even then I still have a hard time seeing it.

They reproduce sexually and have many times over the years had mass spawning events in our tank where they all spit out eggs and sperm. You can see which nems are which sex by what they spit into the water. We’ve tried collecting the gametes and hatching them but they didn’t make it past about a week.

We keep a porcelain crab with ours and he never and I mean NEVER leaves them. It’s pretty cool.
Never had one eat a fish either, but we chose not to keep perching or small fish due to the chance.
I think that they, along with their larger carpet counterparts are some of the nicest colored nems you can get

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of them in my biocube. I got them all from AquaSD. If you are not in a hurry wait until their next live sale. After it is over they usually do a discount for everything left. That code also applies to anything on their site. I used the code to pick some up super cheap. I also sniped a couple insanely cheap ones off their ebay auctions that corresponded with the live sale. Even if you don't want to wait they usually have a good selection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back