Mini maxi trouble

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my blue mini maxi that I've had in the tank for over a year has gotten itself into trouble. It has been doing great but yesterday I noticed it being not fully open and white fibreglass like strings hanging on it. Fast forward today the foot was nearly loose so I pulled the last bit off to get a better look. Seems like she tried to eat some kind of sponge that moved to the rock in front of it.
If anyone has some helpful tips to get her back to good feel free to let me know. Meanwhile I try to pull the stuff of her and clean her a bit up.
Dawn she is my favourite too.Second pic is of that what I believe is a Sponge that was touching her.
20230710_152805.jpg
20230710_152834.jpg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing with any anemone is leave them alone don’t move them about. Let them do there own thing. Hopefully the mouth closes up . Keep us informed please

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened was: it ate or tried to eat a bristle worm.
I had a Magnifica that did the same thing and got quite sick. It lived however. Best of luck.
I posted about this when it happened years ago. I think on ReefCentral

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kmst80

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About half an hour after I placed her back into the tank dhe closed her mouth, still deflated though. Lights are out now so let's see what happens tomorrow. The bristleworm theory sounds plausible and would explain all those fibreglass like bristles.

OP
OP
Kmst80

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.I.P Blue mini maxi. Came home to only half a nem this afternoon, made the decision to suck her out coz there were some upset corals in the tank. Had luckily some carbon running. This is a tough day.
20230711_152655.jpg

OP
OP
Kmst80

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i believe i know who is the culprit. Just been looking through the sump and found these white balls with hairs and after about a minute i had a lightbulb moment, these are pineapple sponges. Same white hair/bristles like on the mini maxi. And looking the same like the sponge in the picture further up in the thread but without the hair.
I guess just a case of in the wrong place at the wrong time and 1:0 for pineapple sponge.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the bristle worm. In the battle the worm lost got eaten. All the bristle got released by the dead worm got collected by some of the sponges which are filter feeder.
Pineapple sponges do not float about and the bristle are not part of these sponges. You see them on the sponges because the dead worm released these bristle and got caught by the sponges.
Years ago my anemone did the same thing. Likely the worm was smaller and the anemone was much larger than your mini carpet. He got sick but it did not kill him. I cannot remember clearly but I think the worm got away that time. I saw the actual battle but this was 20+ years ago and I didn’t not clearly remembered the worm got eaten or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back